Home Forum Gallery Members Todays Posts

Alamuchee-Bellamy Covered Bridge Rating: None

Alabama Attractions / Landmarks / Places > Livingston Email This Bookmark Print
The Alamuchee-Bellamy Covered Bridge is a historic covered span located in Livingston, Alabama. It was built in 1861 and originally crossed the Sucarnoochee River. It was built by Confederate Army Captain William Alexander Campbell Jones.

During the Civil War, the Alamuchee-Bellamy Covered Bridge was used as an access route by the Confederate forces to Mississippi. However, by 1924, it was replaced with a concrete bridge, so it was moved 5 miles south to cross over the Alamuchee Creek. This is where it got a part of its name.

In 1958, it was closed to motor traffic and was replaced by a concrete bridge. It was again moved in 1971 by the Sumter County Historical Society to its current location crossing over the Duck Pond inside the campus of the University of West Alabama.
Edit Article



Alamuchee-Bellamy Covered Bridge Pictures Add Picture



Alamuchee-Bellamy Covered Bridge Videos Add Video
Videos Not Found





City: Livingston
County: Sumter
Address: Student Union Drive
Zip: 35470
Category: Bridge
Edit Details


Login or Register to Add Review