Home Forum Gallery Members Todays Posts

Bluff Hall Rating: None

Alabama Attractions / Landmarks / Places > Demopolis Email This Bookmark Print
The Bluff Hall is a historic home in Demopolis, Alabama. It was built in 1832 for Sarah Selena Glover and husband Francis Strother Lyon by Glover?s father, Allen Glover. The house was used primarily as a townhouse in the beginning, as they also had the Bermuda Hill plantation house in Prairieville.

The Bluff Hall is a Greek Revival style mansion, although, it started out as a Federal style home. It was named after its location, as it was placed on the White Bluff, overlooking the Tombigbee River. It stayed in the Lyon family until 1907 when it was sold off. It was still mainly used as a residence, although, its upper floors were transformed into apartments by the new owner. In 1948, it was sold again and was primarily used as an apartment building.

In 1967, the Marengo County Historical Society acquired the house. They transformed it into a historic house museum which is still how it functions today.
Edit Article

Bluff Hall Pictures Add Picture

Bluff Hall Videos Add Video