Home Forum Gallery Members Todays Posts

Foley Train Museum Rating: None

Alabama Attractions / Landmarks / Places > Foley Email This Bookmark Print
The first depot that was built in 1905 through the initiative of Mr. John B. Foley, he used his own funds to have the railroad to the southern part of Baldwin County. His first efforts went to waste when the first depot burned to the ground and the second depot was built 3 years after in 1908. The railroad line was from Bay Minette and ended approximately a mile south of Foley.
The depot and the railroad later on became the main area of activities for the progressing town of Foley. The area later on became a primary agricultural site, so the railroad was essential to getting the goods to be sold. By the time when the shipping season arrives, a lot of boxcars would show up out of Foley carrying loads of potatoes, corn, gladiolas and other types of vegetables that were grown in the site.

The company that held the railroad discontinued their services to Foley to tear down the Depot. However, the owner of the Gulf Telephone Company, John Snook purchased the building for one dollar and then moved the whole building to Magnolia Springs. It is a small community five miles West of Foley. Mr. Snook used the building for 24 years as a warehouse for the phone company before transferring the property to the City of Foley. The depot however was given back to Foley in 1995 and was placed back to its original site.

Since then, the museum was home to different collections and artifacts about the culture of South Baldwin County and the City of Foley.
Edit Article



Foley Train Museum Pictures Add Picture



Foley Train Museum Videos Add Video
Videos Not Found

Foley Train Museum Threads
City of Foley Museum Archives




City: Foley
County: Baldwin
Address: 125 E. Laurel Ave.
Zip: 36535
Phone Number: 251 943-1818
Category: Museum
Website: Foley Train Museum
Edit Details


Login or Register to Add Review