Home Forum Gallery Members Todays Posts

Little Round House Rating: None

Alabama Attractions / Landmarks / Places > Tuscaloosa Email This Bookmark Print
The Little Round House is a historic building in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. It is located inside the University of Alabama campus and was built in 1860, during the time when the university was converted into a military campus, rendering it a big target during the Civil War.

The Little Round House was built to serve as the guard house of the university. It was a small octagonal building with crenellations which served its original purpose for a short time, since after its completion, the Civil War immediately broke out. Amazingly, it was spared from the burning spree of the Union troops during their time in the area, so it managed to be one of the seven structures in the campus that survived the war. In 1871, when the university reopened, it was used as a physician?s office. It was also used as a records repository, as a Jasons Shrine, and then as a memorial for all honor societies.
Edit Article



Little Round House Pictures Add Picture



Little Round House Videos Add Video