Home Forum Gallery Members Todays Posts

Mount Vernon Arsenal Rating: None

Alabama Attractions / Landmarks / Places > Mount Vernon Email This Bookmark Print
The Mount Vernon Arsenal is a historic site in Mount Vernon, Alabama. It was established in 1828 by the United States Army as an ordnance manufacturing base. It served as an ammunition plant from its inception until the Civil War.

The Mount Vernon Arsenal also served as a point of conflict during the Civil War. It was overtaken by the Alabama state militia in 1861 under the directive of Governor Andrew B. Moore from Captain Jesse L. Reno. In 1862, the manufacturing was moved to Selma, Alabama, which was a far safer location, being away from the Union forces.

The Confederate forces held the Mount Vernon Arsenal until the end of the Civil War when it was returned to the federal government and was transformed into the Mount Vernon Barracks. The barracks was used to detain captured Apache people.
Edit Article



Mount Vernon Arsenal Pictures Add Picture



Mount Vernon Arsenal Videos Add Video