Home Forum Gallery Members Todays Posts

Tanglewood Rating: None

Alabama Attractions / Landmarks / Places > Akron Email This Bookmark Print
Now better known as the J. Nicholene Bishop Biological Station, the Tanglewood is a historic house in Akron, Alabama. It was built in 1859 by Page Harris to serve as his plantation house in a lot that he purchased in 1824. The house is mostly noted for its architectural significance.

In 1949, the Tanglewood was given to the University of Alabama in honor of Nicholene Bishop, an educator who was also the very first woman appointed to a state office in the state of Alabama. She was the very first woman to have become chosen to be a part of the State Board of Examiners of Public School Teachers. She also made great strides in fighting for better educational facilities in Alabama.

The Tanglewood is currently used as a nature reserve, utilized to aid undergraduate and graduate research in the areas of biodiversity and environmental processes.
Edit Article

Tanglewood Pictures Add Picture

Tanglewood Videos Add Video