Home Forum Gallery Members Todays Posts

Wilcox Female Institute Rating: None

Alabama Attractions / Landmarks / Places > Camden Email This Bookmark Print
Built in the mid 1800s, around 1845 to 1850, is the historic Wilcox Female Institute. It was opened as a boarding school for girls in 1850, which local wealthy planters initiated to establish, so they don?t have to send their daughters to Virginia or the Carolinas just to have their young ladies educated and have them enjoy the privileges of a boarding school.

The school was called the Wilcox Female Institute and served as one of the first schools of its sort in the region. It focused on the subjects of languages and mathematics. In 1910, it was closed down and was sold off to the Wilcox County school system. They used it as a high school building.

The Wilcox Female Institute building was acquired in 1976 by the Wilcox Historical Society. They now use it as their official headquarters.
Edit Article

Wilcox Female Institute Pictures Add Picture

Wilcox Female Institute Videos Add Video