Home Forum Gallery Members Todays Posts

Cape St. Elias Light Rating: None

Alaska Attractions / Landmarks / Places > Kayak Island Email This Bookmark Print
Located in Kayak Island, Alaska, the Cape St. Elias Light is an active lighthouse. It was first lit in 1916 and automated in 1974. From then on, it served as an essential navigational-aid to water vessels travelling in the south end of Kayak Island.

The history of Cape St. Elias Light goes back to 1912. Initially, a tower wasn?t the original plan for the area, as the lighthouse tender Armeria sailed to the Kayak Island to set up fourteen acetylene light buoys. Sadly, the Armeria got beached after being carried by the wave to an uncharted rock. This damaged the vessel, so the captain decided to beach it as a last resort.

After this, plans to building Cape St. Elias Light started to roll. Today, it is one of the beautiful dots that people can find in the area.
Edit Article

Cape St. Elias Light Pictures Add Picture

Cape St. Elias Light Videos Add Video