Home Forum Gallery Members Todays Posts

Church of the Holy Ascension Rating: None

Alaska Attractions / Landmarks / Places > Unalaska Email This Bookmark Print
The Church of the Holy Ascension is an active church under the Orthodox Diocese of Alaska in Nondalton, Alaska. It was built in 1826 by the Russian American Fur Company to comply to the second charter terms of the company, which requires it to support Russian Orthodox missionaries. This paved the way for the company to preach to the indigenous peoples of the area of what was then Russian America.

The Church of the Holy Ascension is also significant for its role in providing education to the locals of the area. The church, under the leadership of Father Veniaminov, who widely studied the local customs and material culture and translated the Aleut language to Church Slavonic and also provided medical services to the locals, also established a Russian school. The school operated from 1825 to the early 1960s.
Edit Article

Church of the Holy Ascension Pictures Add Picture

Church of the Holy Ascension Videos Add Video