Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alabama
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2010, 12:02 AM  
jarnkm

Goodwater, Alabama
Simply put, you cannot make that kind of national coverage without coming to Alabama. The hardest thing will be to find a county that doesn't have enough to keep you busy .. for at least 2 days, if not more. We may be considered Red Necks, but I will wager that you will not find the diversity of sites to visit, or the number, in any other state in the Union. I also doubt that you will find a person who cannot suggest a spot that will interest you. In fact ... IF you do come to Alabama ... I will guarantee that you will want to return. Why, you ask? You jus ain't gonna see all Bamma has ta offer in jus one visit! That's a fact!!!

Old 10-14-2010, 04:56 PM  

Huntsville, AL
Quote:
Originally Posted by No-Doors View Post
Actually, back in the 70's (I Think) somebody with the state conservation department had the bright idea of introducing gators into the Tennessee River in the area between Decatur and Guntersville. I'm sure the cold eventually put an end to that little deal. Maybe the guy on the show got hold of that info and didn't realize how stupid it was. I grew up in that area and I remember how crazy we thought the gator deal was when we read about it in the paper. The hicks knew it wouldn't work, but the educated morons didn't know any better.

Took this picture in the Wheeler backwaters near Decatur last Sunday:

There's quite a few of them left in that area.

But, there are absolutely none, and have never been any in the cold, fast moving waters of the mountainous regions where Little River Canyon is located. Man vs. Wild is garbage.

Oh, and to stay on topic............. You can visit the Paul Bear Bryant Museum on the campus of UA. If you like wildlife, we have it. There are many national forests and parks all over the state. We have the best fishing in the world. Our beaches are second to none. You can tour NASA and mingle with toothless red necks at the same time - where else can you do that? (I'm joking, sort of). North alabama is home to many natural caves - Cathedral Caverns and Desoto Caverns are two of the most well-known, but there are many others. And the people. We really do have nice people. Most of us talk funny, but don't let the slang and accent form your opinion of our intelligence.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:40 PM  

port charlotte, florida
I love bama I go deer hunting in centerville and they have some nice white tail there
Old 10-16-2010, 07:21 AM  

Tuscaloosa, AL
Little River Canyon

I live in Tuscaloosa Alabama now but was raised up in north east Alabama. Little river canyon is in Fort Payne up on Lookout Mountain. It is absolutely beautiful especially in the fall when all the leaves are changing. Also if you can catch it right in the spring you can see all the rhododendrens blooming
Old 10-18-2010, 01:38 PM  

Robert trent jones golf trail! =)
Old 10-19-2010, 05:51 PM  

williamsburg, West Virginia
The lakes of Northern Al. have great fishing,no matter what time of year you pass through there.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:32 AM  

Auburn, Alabama
well if you come to Alabama, we have a ton of country to ride. Come to Auburn and let me know if you come... i got a couple places for you to try, rock crawling, trail riding, mud riding!
Old 10-21-2010, 10:20 PM  
RadioActiV

Mishawaka, Indiana
well that first post pretty much sums it up as far as why you should visit Alabama, but they skipped over Decatur AL. There you will find the oldest Bank in northern Alabama and along with the Joe Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge home to more than 1000 species of birds during the spring and summer (Great place to fish) the refuge shares it's home with the Tennessee river. You'll also find Point Mallard, the home of the first wave pool. It's a water park in Decatur Alabama so make sure you hit Decatur up and see some of their sites!
Old 10-25-2010, 12:59 PM  

Warrenton, Oregon
Well, as someone from the Northwest I can't believe I'm admitting this, Alabama is one of my favorite places. As an Army Pilot I spent a fair amount of time at Ft Rucker near Dothan. Deer hunting is great and as it has already been said, the Gulf Shores are the greatest. Go visit Fairhope or is it Fair Hope.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:47 PM  

Huntsville, AL
The U.S. Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville is pretty impressive. In addition to the normal exhibits, they usually have a featured exhibit as well. Recently they had a Star Wars exhibit and currently they have a Chronicles of Narnia Exhibit. It's also the home of space camp.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alabama
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.