Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alabama
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2010, 01:32 PM  

Huntsville, AL
There are very few racist people in the South, despite what you hear. If you visit the really rural areas, and talk to very old people, maybe there are some. But, for the most part, it's not a racist area. The truth is, we have as much or more cultural diversity here than in most areas of the country.

And I have several filipino friends.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:57 PM  

Huntsville, Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by eminart View Post
There are very few racist people in the South, despite what you hear. If you visit the really rural areas, and talk to very old people, maybe there are some. But, for the most part, it's not a racist area. The truth is, we have as much or more cultural diversity here than in most areas of the country.

And I have several filipino friends.
Agreed 100%. Some of the older folks and a very few ignorant younger kids in very rural areas can be racist, but for the most part people in the 20-50 age range are very tolerant. With BRAC moving so many people in from all over the country (at least here in N. Alabama), I expect tolerance to do nothing but increase.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:14 PM  

Auburn, Alabama
I have a buddy that just moved to Auburn from Chicago. He's getting his PhD with a focus on African American history. His view is that the South is much less overtly racist than Chicago (his home town) and other places. Possibly because the civil rights movement was fought primarily on our doorstep, people are acutely aware of the impact of racist remarks or actions.

This doesn't mean there is no racism in the South, just that even someone who is racist may think twice about what they say or do. In my experience I've seen many "closeted" racists that wouldn't dare show their true feelings around anyone other than people they believe hold the same views.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:43 PM  

Huntsville, Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillPall View Post
I have a buddy that just moved to Auburn from Chicago. He's getting his PhD with a focus on African American history. His view is that the South is much less overtly racist than Chicago (his home town) and other places. Possibly because the civil rights movement was fought primarily on our doorstep, people are acutely aware of the impact of racist remarks or actions.

This doesn't mean there is no racism in the South, just that even someone who is racist may think twice about what they say or do. In my experience I've seen many "closeted" racists that wouldn't dare show their true feelings around anyone other than people they believe hold the same views.
It also doesn't mean that just because it is hidden, there's any more racism in the South than in other parts of the country. In my experience, while it is definitely still present, racism is a dying mindset. We live too much in a global economy for it to be otherwise.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:53 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrdhyn View Post
It also doesn't mean that just because it is hidden, there's any more racism in the South than in other parts of the country. In my experience, while it is definitely still present, racism is a dying mindset. We live too much in a global economy for it to be otherwise.
Agreed. I am not going to deny that there are racists in Alabama. But I can't deny that there are also racists in Boston, L.A., Philadelphia, or San Francisco either, much less London, Munich, Milan, or anywhere else.

I think the South in general gets whacked with the racism stick more because it's an easy target - just like it's the butt of all the NASCAR jokes.

I have family in mixed-race marriages, and I have coworkers married to Asians, and we don't think twice about it. It's not the 60's anymore.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:22 AM  

North Charleston, South Carolina
I haven't witnessed too much racism here, but that's not to say I'm not just used to it. If there is racism it's more introverted and not really active.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:42 AM  

Bellevue, Washington
I would bet that Filipinos are more racist towards whites and blacks in their country than Whites are to Filipinos in the South.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:13 AM  

North Charleston, South Carolina
I'm not sure about their racism but I have had a few filipino friends and they've never said anything offensive to me. Like I was saying its not an open problem around here anymore it just stays within the racial groups and isn't necessarily active between groups.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:10 AM  

Bellevue, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drippy1028 View Post
I'm not sure about their racism but I have had a few filipino friends and they've never said anything offensive to me.
Was that in the Philippines?
Old 01-16-2011, 10:37 AM  

Montgomery, Alabama
There will be issues no matter where in the world you are much less this country.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alabama
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.