Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2011, 08:30 PM  

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSBigPaPa View Post
I spent 16 months in Alaska from 1972-73 courtesy Uncle Sam US Army. My son was just 3 months old when he and my wife came to Anchorage in June, 1972. We've always planned to return some day. Well, my wife and I will celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary this year and planned to take the cruise and railroad vacation. Unfortunately we'll not be able to make it this year cause my baby girl is due July 1st.

I'll keep you in mind for sure...

Congrats on the grand kid! Don't wait to long for Alaska....we went on a cruise to Alaska and met a lot of people that waited to go to Alaska cause they thought it would be a boring trip. Alaska is anything but boring and whole lot a fun. If you make it to Juneau and want to go whale watching I HIGHLY recommend a small company Harv and Marv whale watching. Skip the big boat tours and book these guys.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:43 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
Hear hear.
Sorry for excluding you as well, old man. Also a + 1 for you!

Old 01-17-2011, 10:08 PM  

Fresno, CA
Alaska train trip sounds great....Always wanted to go there.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:49 PM  

Fairbanks, Alaska
The Alaska Railroad run from Fairbanks to Seward with stops at Denali park and Anchorage. Taking the train all depends on where you touch down in Alaska. If you arrive in Seward you can catch the train to Anchorage. If you arrive in Whiter then you can take the train to Anchorage. If you arrive in Anchorage you can either go north to Denali and/or Fairbanks or south to either Whiter or Seward.

There are several tour companies that offer train rides. Princess Tours, Celebrity Tours and the Alaska Railroad are a few of the ones I can think of right now.

The train from Anchorage to Fairbanks takes about 12 hours but you get to see a lot on the way. My family and I have taken the train from Fairbanks to Denali several times over the years when we have family visiting.

We have taken the train from Anchorage to Seward once and that was fun too.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:54 PM  

ALASKA
Train trip

My wife and myself take a trip every year to get away, We have taken the train to Denali twice from Talkeetna a great trip scenery wise, We also have gone to Seward a couple of times also great scenery. We are going to book a trip on the whistle stop train from Talkeetna north next. Any trip on the train will get you away from the road system and away from the crowds. Our property in Willow abuts the railroad so wave when you go by.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:38 AM  

I think it's great when my grandkids visit and even better when they leave.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:56 PM  

Lima, NY
Given cost of the trip: here's what I'd really like to do. Drive to Toronto and take the trans-continental RR to Vancouver, then fly to Fairbanks(Yukon Territory perhaps?) and take the train back to Anchorage, From there take a cruise back to the lower 48 and fly back to Toronto.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:47 AM  

Las Vegas/Anchorage, NV
I work for Alaska Railroad, if anyone needs help with reservations I'll point you in the right direction.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:37 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
So what would you recommend as the latest and greatest train trip in Alaska?
A relaxed, scenic and entertaining jaunt in the wilds of your great state?
Old 03-23-2011, 05:31 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
just based on Alaskan train pictures I'm hesitant to believe railroads are the way to see Alaska's stark beauty. I'd suggest a cruise ship.
Alaska Train Tour-alaska_train_illusion.jpg 

Alaska Train Tour-alaska-presidential-railroad-car-2-743987.jpg 

Alaska Train Tour-skagway.jpg 

Alaska Train Tour-skagway5.jpg 

Alaska Train Tour-skagway4.jpg 

Alaska Train Tour-skagway3.jpg 

Alaska Train Tour-skagway2.jpg 

Alaska Train Tour-skagway_train_arriving5.jpg 

Alaska Train Tour-emperess.jpg 

Alaska Train Tour-empress-north.jpg 

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads