Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2010, 01:17 PM  

Lynchburg, VA
Alaskan Cruise

My wife and I have long thought of taking an Alaskan cruise, but we have never known anyone who has been on one. The tropical cruises are abvious, but what can you do on an Alaskan cruise? Do you just stay inside all day? Is it all about the excursions or is there anything to do on the ship as well? Anyone ever fall in love and just stay?

Old 11-20-2010, 10:07 PM  

I took my family and my wife's sister's family on an Alaskan cruise a few years ago. I've been on 7-8 cruises, and this one topped them all. The beauty is second to none, the towns have friendly people, and there is always something to do. Since we had 8 in our party, when we got off the ship, we would find a local with a van, and we would duplicate the packages set up by the ship for about 1/4th the cost. We did the 7 day cruise, along with the train ride into Denali Park, and took a total of 10 days. The greatest memory was the white water rafting excursion. It was a blast!

Old 11-21-2010, 02:12 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Well, the question I've always wondered is, was it cold? When I go on cruises, I like to lounge around the pool on-board, etc. Is this still possible on an Alaskan cruise?

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 11-21-2010, 03:01 PM  

We went in August. It drizzled most everyday, so a rainproof windbreaker was all that was needed. We walked on lots of glaciers with just shorts on, provided you had the windbreaker. I never used my heavy coat and next time I will leave it at home.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:41 PM  

Ketchikan, Alaska
I live in Ketchikan. It's your first port of call. The best time to visit is in June/July where the rain is more hit and miss than a sure thing. If you like to fish, then you're in for a real treat. The salmon and halibut fishing are second to none here and is enjoyed by everyone.
You may feel free to contact me if you have a specific question you'd like answered about Ketchikan. But, I know a bit about the other stops too.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:34 AM  

ALASKA
Alaskan Vacation

Yes many people travel to the State and never leave. We came up for our 25th wedding anniversary and stayed. We did the road system in the state. The ferry to Juneau and Skagway, the ferry to Kodiak Island from Homer. We did Denali State and National Parks, the Denali highway from Cantwell to Paxton great fishing for grayling. Wrangell St. Elias National park the largest in the nation at 13.2 million acres. We saw wildlife in Denali, Kodiak, Wrangell St. Elias and most every where else. Great place to visit in summer or winter. In the winter we have dog races over most of the state with the IDITAROD the longest and most famous starting in Willow and ending 1100 miles 1049 officially in Nome. Fishing is great salmon run from early June to late August.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:03 AM  

san diego, CA
There is a cruise thread over here too.

http://www.cityprofile.com/forum/ala...html#post34304

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads