Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2010, 06:37 AM  
Jeeper

Eagle River, Alaska
the ferry isn't bad, a little spendy, but so is the gas in the Yukon.

its one of those things that you're either good with driving a couple days, or you'd rather have a break.

me personally, i'd rather drive. i have a couple times now, both of our seasons summer and winter

Old 11-22-2010, 05:38 PM  
Cheers!

Fairbanks, Alaska
Drive! Totally worth it. The majority of the state is visually stunning. Very diverse. I live in the interior. My drive down to Seward for vacation was a enjoyable as the vacation itself.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:20 PM  

Miami, FL
Thanks guys,

A friend decided that he will tag along from LA to Anchorage, we have decided to go up by the marine haghway and back driving.

The JK has arrived, I will be in Miami from January to March preparing it to the trip.

R
Old 12-19-2010, 11:36 PM  

The big village, Alaska
AT Flippac just released a new top for the JK Unlimted with a built-in tent, turn your jeep into a little motorhome. Pricey but definitely cool.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:14 PM  

Miami, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug-N-AK View Post
AT Flippac just released a new top for the JK Unlimted with a built-in tent, turn your jeep into a little motorhome. Pricey but definitely cool.
Hi Doug,

Its cool indeed, but is not yet available and you must enter from inside the vehicle, in some casas its a good thing, but not for this expedition because you cannot load the car. I could think of geting one of these if I were traveling alone. Add one more person, two paragliders, fridge, clothes etc and you'll see what I mean...
Old 12-28-2010, 08:39 AM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I think it would be great if you kept us updated with your progress. That sounds like quite the trip. Good luck.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:06 AM  

ALASKA
Car trip

WE have done the ALCAN 7 times and the Cassier once all were great trips and many places to stop and camp along the way in season. Before memorial day and after Labor day the gas stops can be extended a lot and lodging closes. But it is a beautiful trip and worth doing at least once. Also the marine highway system is a unforgettable trip you can camp on deck in a tent and put the car on the lower deck. a slow a peaceful Alaskan experience.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:27 AM  

Fairbanks, Alaska
Car Trip

What I would do is to take the ferry from Seattle to Hanes and then drive the rest of the way up. The view from the ferry is great! Then you can drive out when you leave so you don't miss that part of the state. When you drive out take the Taylor highway, if the road is fixed, to Dawson.

Sounds like a fun trip. Good luck!
Old 12-29-2010, 11:46 AM  

Miami, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
I think it would be great if you kept us updated with your progress. That sounds like quite the trip. Good luck.
I will not have time to keep posting individual messages on every forum I'm part off, but I will at least post that an update is available on the expedition's blog.

Anyway send me an email to americas2011@yahoo.com so I can add you to my list.

Too bad you're on the other side of the country...
Old 12-29-2010, 12:18 PM  

Miami, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 264Win View Post
you can camp on deck in a tent and put the car on the lower deck. a slow a peaceful Alaskan experience.
WOW, did not know there was a ship we could camp on the deck, seems a good plan.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Bookmark this Page!