Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2011, 05:33 AM  

Baton Rouge, LA
Best fishing spots in Alaska

What is the best part of Alaska and time of year to make a fishing trip to Alaska? Don't think I want to try ice fishing.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:05 PM  

The big village, Alaska
I assume you want to fish for salmon and halibut, Kenai peninsula and southcentral Alaska during June, July, and August would be your best bet.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:41 PM  

Baton Rouge, LA
Thanks me and some friends are looking at going for a week to hike and fish. I will look in those areas.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:09 AM  

San Diego, CA
Juneau and S.E Alaska cannot be discounted during the summer. The scenery is amazing, hiking up Mt. Juneau or on the glaciers is a once in a lifetime experience, and I have never been out in Juneau without seeing whales up close and having Eagles come visit us. Kings are the ultimate prize and occasionally you can catch a "white King" which has buttery white meat vice the "salmon" colored meat - absolutely amazing. Kings can be caught year round but aim for late May - July. Silvers are also good eating and are the most fun to hood into, they really fight. They start running in July and peak in late August and early September. Reds, Humpies, and Coho are also available but not necissarily target by sport fishers. Dont get rid of the Coho if you catch them though, they are amazing smoked.
Jerrys Meats in Juneau is by far the best to take care of your catch. Make sure you have them smoke some meat for you, it is the best in Alaska.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:41 PM  

The big village, Alaska
Coho = Silver Salmon, perhaps you ment Chum Salmon also known as Dog Salmon. It tastes alright smoked, in my opinion not worth your time. It's called Dog Salmon for a reason, I don't eat pinks either.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:37 AM  

San Diego, CA
of course, coho = silver, I ment Chum. I only keep 1-2 chum when fishing and only if I need to replenish the smoked inventory. Thanks for keeping me honest.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:36 PM  

DC, DC
If you head into the Anchorage area, you're a short drive from the Kenaii for Salmon and can either go out of Whittier or Seward for Halibut... Nothin' sporty about Halibut, but damn good eats...
Old 01-19-2011, 02:33 PM  

Kodiak, Alaska
Kodiak is AWESOME. The red and silver runs are amazing, and every river on the road system (easy access) has a run of something in it. Halibut, of course, off shore. Some massive king fishing as well.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:56 PM  

ALASKA
Best Fishing

Don't forget the Mat-Su Valley for early Kings late June to July ,silvers July and August. Any of the creeks that cross the Parks highway are good but will be crowded as the road access is great.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:45 PM  

Fairbanks, Alaska
Don't forget Valdez

The fishing in Valdez can't be beat. May & June are best for Halibut and August is the best time for Silver Salmon.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Bookmark this Page!