Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2010, 09:47 PM  

Wasilla, Alaska
I do believe that what was meant was Puffins... there are lots of those! Many a day I would have to dodge them coming off the clifts like aak aak bursts.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:41 AM  

Leesburg, VA
In the summer, does Alaska have a lot of flies? Specifically in the anchorage area and up near Denali.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:54 PM  

Go in May and go to Denali Park (take the train from Anchorage). Amazing place. Cheena Hot Springs is also and incredible spot. And be sure to go south out of Anchorage to Seward via Turnagain Arm.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:24 AM  

Lebanon, PA
Moving to Alaska

Has anyone moved to Alaska from these here lower 48 & do you like living in AK? I am thinking of buying some land in AK., & possibly moving there.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:52 AM  

I've been there in APril & May and have not experienced any fly problems maybe later in the summer.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:39 PM  

Milwaukee, WI
I've done the round trip 6 times...once on a Fat Boy. Drive/ride anywhere and everywhere. It's darn near impossible to get lost.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:11 AM  

Wasilla, Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpannebakker View Post
Has anyone moved to Alaska from these here lower 48 & do you like living in AK? I am thinking of buying some land in AK., & possibly moving there.
Do plan to rent for a while to find the area you would like to live in, a mile or two can change your whole outlook. Do not buy sight unseen.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:19 AM  

Wasilla, Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggraid101 View Post
In the summer, does Alaska have a lot of flies? Specifically in the anchorage area and up near Denali.
Our State bird, Mosquito, can be bothersome in June and July but are usually largely depleted by mid to late August, then you will notice the No Seeum and Gnat swarms. But it really depends on the individual area as to how bad all these bugs are. Flies? No, try Mexico.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:25 PM  

Bluff City, TN
I was in AK for a week in May. I drove from Anchorage to Fairbanks up A3. I stopped in Talkeetna and took some pictures of McKinley off of the back deck of the Talkeetna lodge. I then checked out Denali Nat. Park. From Fairbanks I drove up the Dalton Highway to the Arctic Circle. Then from Fairbanks down to delta junction on A2 then down A4 to Glenallen then took A1 back to Anchorage. The wide open spaces and the scenery is unmatched anywhere else I have been.

I then went south from Anchorage on A1 around Turnagain Arm to the Kenai Peninsula. Again it was beautiful. Well worth the trip it is one I will never forget.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:40 AM  

ALASKA
Yes we do stay

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpannebakker View Post
Yes we do come up to visit and end up staying. My wife and I came up in 1996 for our 25th wedding anniversary and are still here and plan to die here not any time soon. We spent 30 days touring the state by road and flew down to Juneau and did the marine highway to Skagway and back to Juneau. We drove to Homer and took the Ferry to Kodiak stayed at the state Park , Ft. Abercrombie, kayaked around Round Is. fished for halibut and king salmon and flew out to view the bears. Were hooked. Put a purchase offer on two cabins in one of the National Parks the Monday we got back.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Bookmark this Page!