Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2010, 10:46 AM  

Detroit, Michigan
Dark all Month?

When does the constant darkness start? What about the constant light?

How do you guys deal with it? Is it an issue?

I said in another thread, I'm looking to move. Soon.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:12 AM  

The big village, Alaska
Where are you looking to move to, the Slope? In southcentral it's not that bad, you get used to it. It's kinda nice having long days in the summer, not so nice the long nights in the winter though. I recommend getting out and doing something even if it's just going for a walk.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:24 AM  
Jeeper

Eagle River, Alaska
yes, you definitely have to get outside. i work out on the flightline so i get my couple hour dose of sun in the winter. if you stay in all the time and try the cuddle up to keep warm idea, babies get made.

haha

i'm on my second now, apparently the joke about this being a two kid tour is true.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:28 PM  

The big village, Alaska
Congratulations, bet your glad you didn't get stationed at Eilson.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:08 PM  
Jeeper

Eagle River, Alaska
i'm from south dakota originally, so i know what wind during winter is like.

in other words, yes, i'm glad i didn't get sent up to eilson
Old 11-22-2010, 01:54 PM  

Boise, ID
From my understanding it's not constant darkness.. more like twilight. If you really want to see what it is like take a look at the various webcams available in the area of AK you are interested in and that will give you an idea what it's like.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:48 PM  

Tucson, Arizona
Depends on where you are....

In Northern and Central Alaska you will find people celebrate the Summer and Winter Solstices quite fervently. The reason is because during the Summer Solstice you have the most sunlight of all year and from that point you start losing 7 mins of Sunlight each day until you get to the Winter Solstice which has the least amount of sunlight. In Fairbanks, basically you get a dusk/dawn feeling towards the solstice and Summertime you have sunlight all day and night.

In Summer I had to cover my windows in Tin Foil in order to sleep and in Winter time alot of people use "Happy" lights which simulate the sun in order to help with S.A.D. (Season Affective Disorder) which is a form of depression common in Alaska.

Personally, I found if you go out and do something Alaska is really awesome, If you stay indoors alot you WILL go crazy. Also, forget anything you thought you know about the weather, if God has a schizophrenic younger brother, he let him be in charge of Alaska's weather.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:35 PM  

Anchorage, Alaska
Arctic Circle

A common notion about Alaska is that the whole state goes dark in the winter and has endless sunlight in the summer. That's not quite the case.

Barrow, at the very top of the state, has a two-month winter period in which the sun doesn't rise. But that's the extreme, and winter's long nights get shorter the farther south you go. South of the Arctic Circle, every place has sunlight at least part of the day.

In the summer, all of Arctic Alaska gets 24-hour sunlight for at least one day at the solstice. Barrow has continuous daylight for 85 days. South of the circle, every town has a night every day, even if it's quite brief.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:32 PM  
Cheers!

Fairbanks, Alaska
You can watch the sun creep up on the horizon around 10:00 a.m. and slide along the horizon for a few hours, then sink back down. Summertime, 24 hours of day light. The Aurora Borealis is amazing
Old 11-22-2010, 07:43 PM  

Ketchikan, Alaska
Ketchikan, where I live is, I guess, the most like down south. But right now it's dark at 3pm and light by 8 am, and it's not even the first day of winter yet

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads