Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2011, 01:58 PM  

Sault Sainte Marie, MI
Living in Alaska

I always wanted to live in AK, just wondering what are some of the advantages and disadvantages and where is the best place to live for a guy who likes to snowmobile and sight see, thanks.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:29 PM  

Kodiak, Alaska
The biggest thing people don't realize is just how BIG it really is up here.

There are literally five different climate zones. Living up here can be challenging, unless you know what you want to do. The biggest city is Anchorage, 275,000 - 300,000 people. Then you've got Fairbanks, Juneau, and a bunch of smaller cities as well - some not even accessible by road.

Take your time, discover what you WANT to do, and choose from there.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:06 PM  

ALASKA
Living in Alaska

I have to agree that Alaska is a great state and the largest more than twice the size to Texas. We have it all here a few city's and a lot of grow room with just less than 1.1 persons per square mile. If you want to get away from the hussle and bussle of the lower 48 this is the place. But we like Alaska for what it is not what you want it to be we don't like change, so if you are ready for a change of life style and Alaska is the place
Old 01-23-2011, 04:16 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I've been Googling Alaska, and it is one huge tract of wilderness.
I really do need to get up there for an extended reconnaissance one of these days.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:44 PM  

Fairbanks, Alaska
One of the biggest disadvantages about living in the central part of Alaska is the weather. Most people don't know how to survive when it get down to -30 and stays there for weeks at a time. Right now the temperature is -11 and most of us sourdoughs think that we are having a heatwave. The second disadvantage about living in Alaska is that it cost way too much money to travel in and out of the state.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:08 PM  

Weather in the Interior, prices for everything, and lack of most modern social entertainment avenues are all negatives. If you want to have fun in Alaska, better adapt to the culture or you'll be miserable.

Positives are the amount of privacy you can expect, the lack of government intervention in the lives of Alaskans, and the general variety of individuals that you can potentially meet on a daily basis. There are people who live rural and don't come into town for years...every time they do something has changed.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:43 PM  

The big village, Alaska
What modern social entertainment avenues are we lacking in? Is there something new I'm being deprived of?
Old 02-21-2011, 12:03 AM  

Kodiak, Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug-N-AK View Post
What modern social entertainment avenues are we lacking in? Is there something new I'm being deprived of?
I was just going to ask that... heck we've got most "modern social entertainment avenues" here on Kodiak - which is far more remote!
Old 02-22-2011, 11:15 AM  

Fairbanks' versions of "social centers" are embarrassing at best, that's all I'm saying.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:47 AM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I'm not a resident and have never visited Alaska (yet), but I'm guessing that most people living there are pretty content with the social scene that's available.

Also I'm pretty sure no one actually moves to Alaska for the latest trends in the nightlife and clubbing scene,

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Bookmark this Page!