Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2011, 09:11 PM  

The big village, Alaska
The sleddin' has been great lately up in Fairbanks hasn't it?

Old 02-25-2011, 10:52 PM  

ALASKA
We HAVE had A warm Winter only one week of -40 temps. snow fall has been light this year too. I don't get to LosAnchorage much about
twice since the new year. Mostly to get my hearing aids adjusted.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:01 PM  

Snowfall has been light? Maybe down south...but we've been hammered this year in the Interior. 3x the most I've seen the 7 winters before this, and it's not even over.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:04 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
I'm not a resident and have never visited Alaska (yet), but I'm guessing that most people living there are pretty content with the social scene that's available.

Also I'm pretty sure no one actually moves to Alaska for the latest trends in the nightlife and clubbing scene,
considering the military culture throughout Alaska, and the number of people migrating here for work during a recessed economy, you'd be mistaken. Some people literally have no choice about living here, and would like a little more to do that has nothing to do with moose droppings or bluegrass. This is why Arctic Man is so popular: people can socialize all they want, get drunk, high, etc. They can escape the mundane solitude that is constantly closing in on them. It's also why Snoop Dogg's concert sold out. How many fans of gangsta rap do you think live in Fairbanks? Yet he sold his concert out within hours of tickets going on sale. Why? Because it's simply SOMETHING TO DO.

but what do I know, I've actually lived up here for a few years.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:42 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
You make a good point

I was looking at it from the perspective of someone jaded by social scenes and looking for a little solitude.

I can see how it could be tiresome for certain people who are there out of necessity instead of by choice.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:04 AM  

ALASKA
Not deprived

Well I don't feel the least bit deprived 79 miles North of LosAnchorage we have a enough to do with the Espresso stand and four plex and Fire Dept and Ambulance and Church and the food bank and sno-goers coming and going every week end. We have a great life with neighbors 1mile to the South and about 3/4 mile to the North and miles to the East or West.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:38 AM  

Colorado Springs, Colorado
I am much like RiponredTJ, I like to do my homework before jumping into something. I am in the Army and would like to get stationed in Alaska before I just pack up my crap in a U-haul and head down the ALCAN. I do appreciate everyones input. Been around the world, and in Germany some hated it, some loved it. My and my wife really enjoy the outdoors, love nature, and 4 wheeling. please give us the No crap assesment, because I am sure you residents, see people come and go because that lifestyle is just not for them.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:15 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I'm guessing the lifestyle varies greatly depending on how close you are to a city or town?
Old 01-25-2012, 02:07 AM  

ALASKA
Well it can get interesting up here, we have had - temps for about 3 weeks now the wx man said we would get +temps it went to 3above for about 3 hrs. and is now back down to -30 has been -40 but the kicker is we have been having trouble with the boiler for the last 4 days got it running about 6 hrs day before yesterday but it quite again repairman comes tomorrow A.M. again. Hope we can keep the temps in the pipes above freezing?
Old 01-25-2012, 06:03 AM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Good luck with that man. I'm guessing most of you up there have wood-burning stoves as back up. Besides wood how do most of you guys heat your homes up there? Oil, gas, electricity...?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.