Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2010, 07:36 PM  

Las Vegas, Nevada
Moving to Alaska

So, my girlfriend and I are thinking that we want to head to alaska in a few years. We need to get out of Nevada before her daughter has to get into middle school. Any info, or advise would be great!

Old 10-11-2010, 08:56 PM  

Sammamish, WA
My first question is what do you do? Will you be able to find work up there? I know there has always been a shortage of workers but in pretty tough jobs.

Also, I'd check into the schools there, and try to fins an area where they are good. Do a lot of research. That is an important age, we moved here when my oldest was about to start Jr. High. I went as far as to attend various school board meetings before deciding where to live once we settled on the Eastside
(of the Lake from Seattle).

Old 10-13-2010, 12:15 AM  

Anchorage, Anchorage, Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanvalis View Post
Any info, or advise would be great!
Consider California instead.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:24 AM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
i dont think cali and alaska have much in common...
Old 10-13-2010, 08:33 PM  

Anchorage, Anchorage, Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcache View Post
i dont think cali and alaska have much in common...
You might be surprised - unfortunately.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:23 AM  

Jupiter, Florida
Select a community, like Homer, as an example. Set up a page on iGoogle.com with multiple link boxes. Categorize and set up links in the boxes to local newspapers, radio stations, local weather, local organizations (Rotary, Chamber of Commerce, etc.), city and county government, school board, etc. You will be able to follow the issues that are important to the community and get to know who the "movers and shakers" are.

Right now, 5:15am Alaska time, it's 27 degrees in Homer. The Homer News reports that the "Trash-eating town bear" was killed by police, and the Hillstrands (Time Bandit) are back on 'Deadliest Catch.' The Homer Tribune has a picture of ice beginning to form in the Alaska River. KBBI radio is broadcasting "Democracy Now."

Good Luck!
Old 10-14-2010, 05:10 PM  
Curmedgeon

Max Meadows, VA
I lived there for 35 years and my advice is have a job before you move.

A temporary job just to check it out is even better, if possible.

Bear in mind Alaska is a wonderful place during the 3 summer months....but what about the other 9 months?
Old 10-14-2010, 05:45 PM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
i guess it depends who you are. i personally live for the extremes. i guess thats wy i enjoy North Dakota. just wish we had more mountains...
Old 10-15-2010, 12:55 AM  

The big village, Alaska
The dog tooth buttes really don't compare to the Chugach mountains.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:20 PM  

Las Vegas, Nevada
Thanks everyone for your replies. I've been in sales and telephone/customer service work for the last several years. I've got some family up there and I might be able to get a job before actually heading up. My girlfriend is a Bartender, and from what I understand there are no shortage of bars up where you guys are.

As to the weather. I've seen pictures, and heard stories, of what the weather is like, and I have to say I look forward to it. I'm at the other extreme right now living in the middle of the HOT desert, and I much prefer the cold and snow.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.