Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2010, 02:40 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Yeah - that's definitely the way that I think of Alaska, is the big open tundra to just take a four wheeler out on and go. That's kind of always been the allure of it for me. I've never been out there, but man would I love to go.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 09-21-2010, 02:25 AM  

Anchorage, Anchorage, Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
Yeah - that's definitely the way that I think of Alaska, is the big open tundra to just take a four wheeler out on and go.
Except that is considered environmental vandalism and can subject you to fines running in the thousands of dollars.

It gets especially fun when you get stuck and have to hire a helicopter to come haul your ass out within 48 hours and get a HUGE bill on top of the fines, with additional fines for environmental cleanup if you happen to leak oil or other fluids out onto the tundra.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:02 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
What? Surely there's public land, just as there is in the lower 48.

Hah, have you gotten stuck before? That sounds like personal experience talking...

Old 09-21-2010, 06:29 AM  

Quote:
What? Surely there's public land, just as there is in the lower 48.
Sure there is. The feds own most of Alaska. By a similar token, they do their best to keep Alaskans from using any of it. God forbid we be allowed to build any new roads!

Quote:
Hah, have you gotten stuck before? That sounds like personal experience talking...
No, I don't have time for such things.

I tried to find a recent article detailing the summary version of my previous post - some military numnutz when driving off into the Tundra and got stuck, and I could swear they had to bring in a chopper to get them out. They got huge fines. I think it was in 2006, 2007 or so.

In any case - you're not allowed to go driving around on the tundra. Hell, you're barely allowed to LOOK at the tundra without some kind of permit from BLM, NPS, F&WS, or some other federal TLA.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:40 PM  

The big village, Alaska
Whatever we go wheelin' all the time up in Sutton, King River, and Jim Creek just to name a few places. Been here since birth and I never heard of anybody getting fined, mabey if your dumb enough to wheel in Denali National Park or on the Slope. It's incredible up here come see for yourself.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:43 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug-N-AK View Post
Whatever we go wheelin' all the time up in Sutton, King River, and Jim Creek just to name a few places
That's because the tundra isn't everywhere in Alaska.

Here is a thread about the story I was talking about:

By Tim Mowry
Staff Writer
Published April 5, 2007

The stuck trucks are free, but the bill associated with getting them out won’t be.
The Anchorage hunters who got two pickup trucks stuck in the tundra off the Dalton Highway about 350 miles north of Fairbanks while trying to retrieve caribou they shot in September finally succeeded in getting the vehicles out, according to officials with the U.S. Bureau of Land Management.
“I’m so glad those trucks are out,” said Shelly Jacobson, field manager for BLM’s central Yukon field office who has been overseeing efforts to remove the trucks. “It’s been such a spectacle.”
The hunters, from Elmendorf Air Force Base, tried three previous times this winter to extract the trucks. This time they used jackhammers and rotary drills powered by generators that were hauled to the site by snowmachine to dig the trucks out of the frozen tundra, Jacobson said.
The hunters stayed on site in a wall tent and had a parachute canopy covering the trucks and heaters to warm the work space, but the heaters didn’t do much to thaw the ground.
The truck closest to the highway, a Dodge Ram 1500 stuck about a half mile from the road, was removed on Saturday. The other truck, a Ford F-150 stuck about 4 1/2 miles from the road, was freed on Tuesday.
The trucks were loaded onto sleds placed under each tire and towed out to the Dalton Highway by Alyeska Pipeline Co. using a pair of Tucker Sno-Cats, said Jacobson.
The BLM asked Alyeska to tow the trucks to the road, according to Alyeska spokesman Curtis Thomas, who said Alyeska will not charge the hunters for towing the trucks out.
“It’s an act of good Samaritanism,” he said.
The trucks had been stuck since Sept. 8 when the hunters hiked five miles off the road and shot three caribou. Rather than pack the animals back to the trucks, the hunters attempted to drive the trucks to the caribou, even though they knew motorized vehicles weren’t allowed for five miles on each side of the road, an area called the Dalton Highway Corridor.
The incident garnered statewide attention, and the hunters’ ongoing efforts to remove the trucks generated spirited debate in hunting and environmental camps around the state in part because of the brashness of the stunt. The BLM received dozens of phone calls and e-mails from Alaskans offering everything from advice on how to get the trucks out to what kind of punishment the hunters should face.
The drivers of the two trucks were cited by the BLM for driving in a non-motorized area, the equivalent of a traffic fine, but the hunters face further fines and penalties, Jacobson said. The BLM will seek reimbursement for administrative costs associated with removing the trucks. Jacobson described the costs as “substantial.”
“We haven’t added them up,” she said.
The hunters may also have to pay reclamation costs if the BLM determines any work is needed to rehabilitate the disturbed ground, said Jacobson. How much damage was done to the tundra remains to be seen when the ground thaws, but Jacobson was impressed by the pictures she saw during and after the operation.
“They were pretty surgical,” she said. “It looks pretty good.”
The hunters used jackhammers to cut into the frozen tundra and then cut their way to the frame and axles, shoveling the frozen dirt away as they went. Once they got the trucks free, sleds were put under each tire and the trucks were towed out. The hunters shoveled the dirt back into the depressions they had cut when they were done.
“We’re going to take a look at it this summer after everything thaws out,” Jacobson said.
The only sign of the trucks being towed out were toboggan sled marks in the snow, she said.
“The towing out went slick,” said Jacobson, who called Alyeska’s assistance “very nice.”
Steve Houghton, maintenance manager at the University of Alaska Fairbanks’ nearby Toolik Field Station, was on hand to witness part of the extraction process. He called the removal of the trucks “a success story.”
Houghton said he was glad to help the hunters get the trucks out.
“These guys are willing to put their butts on the line for us, it’s the least we can do,” he said, referring to their military status. “They paid their sentence and it was time to get them out, whatever it took.”
BLM employees were on hand to monitor the removal. Based on what they saw, it didn’t appear either truck leaked any oil, transmission fluid or gasoline on the tundra, Jacobson said.
“That was a concern a lot of us had,” she said.
The BLM does plan to release the names of the offenders, Jacobson said.
“I know the perception is out there that we’re trying to protect them from public scrutiny, but that’s not the case,” she said.
Rather, the agency doesn’t want to compromise the investigation that BLM rangers have been conducting since the incident occurred back in September.
The BLM is still planning to team with UAF researchers at the Toolik Field Station to monitor the recovery of the damaged tundra, Jacobson said.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:51 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Wowww, I would've liked a summary of the story - I feel like those guys' dumbness has just rubbed off on me for reading that entire story hah

Old 09-22-2010, 03:26 AM  

Quote:
Wowww, I would've liked a summary of the story - I feel like those guys' dumbness has just rubbed off on me for reading that entire story hah
As dumb as those guys were.....

I swear to god, the world's financial problems could be EASILY and QUICKLY solved by a simple tax on stupidity.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:22 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Haha, yeah that guy's definitely not bright. That poor TJ.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:09 PM  
Yeah its me

Concord, North Carolina
thats some major river crossing!

anyone here go moose hunting? i have been thinking about doing it with my dad before he gets to old and crippled. its about the only thing we done together growing up. he is already falling apart at 50...shoulder surgery coming very soon so time could be limited

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.