Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2010, 08:44 PM  

The big village, Alaska
[QUOTE=WaterBoarder;13051]That's because the tundra isn't everywhere in Alaska.

Here is a thread about the story I was talking about:

By Tim Mowry
Staff Writer
Published April 5, 2007

The stuck trucks are free, but the bill associated with getting them out won?t be.
The Anchorage hunters who got two pickup trucks stuck in the tundra off the Dalton Highway about 350 miles north of Fairbanks while trying to retrieve caribou they shot in September finally succeeded in getting the vehicles out, according to officials with the U.S. Bureau of Land Management.
?I?m so glad those trucks are out,? said Shelly Jacobson, field manager for BLM?s central Yukon field office who has been overseeing efforts to remove the trucks. ?It?s been such a spectacle.?
The hunters, from Elmendorf Air Force Base, tried three previous times this winter to extract the trucks. This time they used jackhammers and rotary drills powered by generators that were hauled to the site by snowmachine to dig the trucks out of the frozen tundra, Jacobson said.
The hunters stayed on site in a wall tent and had a parachute canopy covering the trucks and heaters to warm the work space, but the heaters didn?t do much to thaw the ground.
The truck closest to the highway, a Dodge Ram 1500 stuck about a half mile from the road, was removed on Saturday. The other truck, a Ford F-150 stuck about 4 1/2 miles from the road, was freed on Tuesday.
The trucks were loaded onto sleds placed under each tire and towed out to the Dalton Highway by Alyeska Pipeline Co. using a pair of Tucker Sno-Cats, said Jacobson.
The BLM asked Alyeska to tow the trucks to the road, according to Alyeska spokesman Curtis Thomas, who said Alyeska will not charge the hunters for towing the trucks out.
?It?s an act of good Samaritanism,? he said.
The trucks had been stuck since Sept. 8 when the hunters hiked five miles off the road and shot three caribou. Rather than pack the animals back to the trucks, the hunters attempted to drive the trucks to the caribou, even though they knew motorized vehicles weren?t allowed for five miles on each side of the road, an area called the Dalton Highway Corridor.

Like I said, on the Slope, there are plenty of places to wheel in southcentral. Those lazy SOB's got what they deserved.

Hunting season is almost over cheapskate, save your money for next year.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:35 PM  

Bluff City, TN
Why visit Alaska? The highest mountain in the United States. It is the only place in the United States that you can drive north of the the Arctic Circle. The expanse of the state is something you will not experience anywhere else. You top out on a mountain as you drive from Anchorage to Fairbanks and can see so far your camera can't even get the entire vision that you see. The wildness of it all.

Drive from Anchorage to Fairbanks on stop on the way to check out Talkeetna and have a burger and beer both made at the Denali Brewing Company. Stop at the Talkeetna lodge and get a picture of Mt McKinley from their back deck. Continue on to Denali National Park, more scenery and more pictures. Continue to Fairbanks. . Visit Fairbanks for a day and then drive north on the haul road (Dalton Highway) it is the same road shown on the tv show Ice Road Truckers. Drive up the haul road until you each the Arctic Circle more pictures along the way of the oil pipeline. Return to Fairbanks. Then head south to Anchorage through North Pole, Delta Junction and down south through Glen Allen over towards Palmer past Matanuska Glacier and others along the way. Drop down to the river and pay the admission to hike to Matanuska Glacier, then when you get done hiking return to the road and swing in to The Long Rifle Lodge for lunch and an amazing view of the glacier. Then on to anchorage.

Then head south towards Seward and Homer to check out the Kenai Peninsula.

If you don't make it to any other state you should hit Alaska and make the loop as I mentioned, in June. The sun will be up most of the night and the scenery is something that will stick with you the rest of your life.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:06 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Wow, now that's the kind of answer I was looking for! Thank you very much grape, and a Kudos for that!

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 09-23-2010, 12:27 AM  

Anchorage, Anchorage, Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChEaPsK87 View Post
anyone here go moose hunting?
Not me. Too time consuming and expensive, relative to going to Fred Meyer and getting some dead animal flesh.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:38 PM  

Lubbock, Texas
It sounds to me like you need to move, WaterBoarder.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:09 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknowskier View Post
It sounds to me like you need to move, WaterBoarder.
Why? If you don't go out and kill moose, you shouldn't live in Alaska?
Old 09-23-2010, 07:04 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Hah I'd have to say, your attitude towards your homestate seems less than favorable

Old 09-23-2010, 07:34 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
Hah I'd have to say, your attitude towards your homestate seems less than favorable
Really? How so?

It's an interesting perspective, considering it's the only state in the U.S. in which I would want to live.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:37 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I just read through this whole thread, and you just seem kind of negative towards it. Do you enjoy Alaska?

Old 09-23-2010, 10:42 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
I just read through this whole thread, and you just seem kind of negative towards it.
Again, how so?

Quote:
Do you enjoy Alaska?
Of course. As indicated - it is the only state in the U.S. in which I want to live. FWIW, I CHOOSE to live here. I relocated here from many thousands of miles away.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Bookmark this Page!