Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2010, 09:15 PM  
Jeeper

Eagle River, Alaska
Where to eat sushi in Alaska

we've been to benihanas and weren't really impressed. too much money for the quantity and quality of food.

we have been frequenting samurai sushi for a while now, but now wonder if there's anywhere else in town that's worth a visit.

i ask because sushi is one of those things where i don't want to go and get a bad batch and pay for it later, if you know what i mean

Old 12-17-2010, 08:53 PM  

The big village, Alaska
Samurai Sushi is pretty good, try Yamoto Ya or Dish. To bad Pete's Sushi Spot burned down they were really good.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:08 PM  
Toji

Anchorage, Alaska
If you prefer more classic sushi (as opposed to the California style sushi they're serving at Dish, Ichiban, and Samurai), I suggest Arigato over on Spenard just north of 36th Avenue. My family eats there as often as we can afford to, which is more often than we can afford Dish thanks to Arigato's more reasonable pricing.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:15 PM  

Anchorage, Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor-madeak View Post
If you prefer more classic sushi (as opposed to the California style sushi they're serving at Dish, Ichiban, and Samurai), I suggest Arigato over on Spenard just north of 36th Avenue. My family eats there as often as we can afford to, which is more often than we can afford Dish thanks to Arigato's more reasonable pricing.
I'll check that place out, thanks for the suggestion, never heard of it before.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:15 PM  
Toji

Anchorage, Alaska
Do check it out. Kang makes the best California rolls in town, and he's also the only person who can get me to eat salmon in any form. =)
Old 12-21-2010, 11:36 PM  

The big village, Alaska
Really, you don't like smoked salmon?
Old 12-22-2010, 12:31 AM  
Toji

Anchorage, Alaska
Salmon is one of those things that I just never managed to acquire a taste for. Obviously I'm not a native to Alaska. =) I can handle smoked salmon in small amounts every once in a while, but most other forms of salmon I just can't eat. I guess it comes from my early childhood diet of fish that weren't quite so fatty - like crappie, bluegill sunfish, perch, and walleye pike.

The exception is salmon nigirizushi, and even then I'm picky. I won't just grab some at the local Fred Meyer and eat it, it has to be made fresh by Kang at Arigato. =)
Old 12-22-2010, 12:48 AM  
Jeeper

Eagle River, Alaska
damn i miss fresh walleye and northern that we caught that day and cooked up at night with a few beers.

the wife and i will go check out Arigato over the holiday sometime. thanks for the tip taylor!
Old 12-22-2010, 01:01 AM  
Toji

Anchorage, Alaska
No sweat. =)

They like my sake there. I figure I must be making some good stuff if I impressed the owners of my favorite Japanese restaurant with it.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:28 PM  

Juneau, AK
Sushi makes me miss living in Vancouver, BC... You can find very good quality sushi for cheap prices... and the more expensive stuff (like Tojo's) is unbelievable.
In Juneau we only have one true place, it's good, but I find myself wanting to visit friends in Vancouver...

I'm a big fan of Tojo's BC Roll... Salmon skin is tasty... though his tuna sashimi is to die for... melts in your mouth.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Bookmark this Page!