Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2010, 04:29 PM  

Anchorage, Alaska
After living in Japan for 3 1/2 years, American sushi is very, very different from what I am used to. It's hard to find a place that does sushi "correctly" since so many Americans love to cover up the true essence of the sushi with all the extra fixings.

Samurai wasn't awful but it wasn't good either. I will have to give Arigato a try. I miss my maguro sashimi, umeshu, and honshu sake.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:42 PM  
Toji

Anchorage, Alaska
I stopped eating at Samurai Sushi when they served me toro instead of the maguro I ordered. They were very rude about it, too. So we never went back.

Arigato serves umeshu as well as ginjo sake. I never order sake there, however, because they don't mind when I bring my own...as long as they get some. =)

Old 12-29-2010, 05:15 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Haha.
I know nothing about sushi or sake and would love to learn more.
I have no problem with raw oysters, smoked salmon or pickled herring.
What's a good order for a first time sushi eater like me?
Old 12-29-2010, 05:32 PM  
Toji

Anchorage, Alaska
Well, if you want to try nigirizushi (raw fish on rice), then I suggest you start with maguro (lean tuna) or hamachi (yellowtail). Raw tuna is similar to rare steak in texture, while raw yellowtail is actually somewhat minty in flavor. Neither of them are as soft in texture as oysters on the half-shell.

If makizushi (rolled sushi) is your thing, you can't go wrong with a California roll. I also happen to really like caterpillar rolls, but that's because I like the flavor combination of barbecued freshwater eel and avocado. If you want to go more traditional, you can order the always classic tekka maki (tuna) and kappa maki (cucumber), or you can order my personal favorites oshinko maki (pickled daikon) and negihama maki (yellowtail and green onion).

If nothing else, you can always order some oysters on the half-shell. =) I get those from time to time, but at ten bucks per half dozen at a restaurant I usually opt to just eat those at home.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:24 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
We shuck our own oysters as well.
When we want to eat oysters, six are simply not enough.
I'm going to try to get some of those dishes you recommended in the next few days.
If I don't die, I'll let you know how I liked them.
Thanks.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:38 PM  
Toji

Anchorage, Alaska
Any time. =)
Old 01-01-2011, 02:30 PM  

Palmer, Alaska
yes, I really enjoyed the Sushi in Juneau, mostly just because it was available. If you are in Wasilla, there is a new sushi place next to the Mac Haus that is good. They have some good fully cooked spicy rolls too. You might try Tokyo restaurant as well.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:36 PM  

Kodiak, Alaska
Well, since you said in Alaska and not a specific city, I would recommend Seongs in Juneau, or the Old Powerhouse Restaurant on Kodiak.

Both are AWESOME. Actually, every person from the outside I've taken to the Powerhouse has left saying it's THE BEST sushi they have ever had.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:37 PM  

Anchorage, Alaska
I always liked the sushi from Ronnies, but recently started liking Sushi Ya, so its a split decision there for me.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Alaska
Bookmark this Page!