Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Albany
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2010, 01:14 PM  

Albany, New York
The good, the bad and the ugly about living in Albany?

Let's face it. We can all find things to complain about wherever you live.

I've lived in Colonie for 25 years and have found a few things that I like.

Garbage pickup is on Tuesdays and the song birds always come back in the spring.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:34 AM  

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
I find it interesting that no one else has posted anything good about Albany. I grew up there and moved away in 1983. I never liked it at all. So much so that I have never once returned even to visit.
The only good thing that I can think of off hand is Teds Fish Fry. Which technically isn't even in Albany.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:21 AM  

Albany, New York
Actually, Bob and Ron's fish fry on Central Ave in Albany blows away Ted's. At least it used to. B and R's quality has declined over the years.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:32 AM  

New Hyde Park, NY
Just move south a bit to the Hudson Valley Woodstock, Stone Ridge, Cottekill, Accord area...only one hour south and you are in an amazing area...
Old 01-25-2011, 09:08 PM  

Albany, NY
You can find the good or bad in anything.
Albany area is within 3-4 hours of 3 Major Metropolitain cities. (5 if you want to travel a little longer.) That's a day trip.
Selection and quality of restaurants is getting better all the time.
Seasons change.
No real natural disasters - we get some cold and ice, but I'll take that over my home getting shaken, flooded, or blown away.
Near the best skiing areas - if you can ski in the east you can ski anywhere.
An hour and a half from the largest national park - that people actually live in!
Of course, it's still in NY (taxes), it gets cold in the winter, black flies and mosquitos suck, it's not very attractive in general with it's mix of building designs, it's small, jobs are scarce, and the polititions are crooked (but aren't they all)
Old 01-26-2011, 08:10 AM  

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by freekcj View Post
You can find the good or bad in anything.
Albany area is within 3-4 hours of 3 Major Metropolitain cities. (5 if you want to travel a little longer.) That's a day trip.
Selection and quality of restaurants is getting better all the time.
Seasons change.
No real natural disasters - we get some cold and ice, but I'll take that over my home getting shaken, flooded, or blown away.
Near the best skiing areas - if you can ski in the east you can ski anywhere.
An hour and a half from the largest national park - that people actually live in!
Of course, it's still in NY (taxes), it gets cold in the winter, black flies and mosquitos suck, it's not very attractive in general with it's mix of building designs, it's small, jobs are scarce, and the polititions are crooked (but aren't they all)
You know it is sort of funny in a way that you mention "it's not very attractive in general with it's mix of building designs," because I used to live there. I spent the first 35 years of my life in that area. And that mix of designs and the green of that area is what I miss most about there. Where I live now in New Mexico almost all of the buildings are built to look like the old pueblo style. Which is basically some shade of brown or tan. It is at first OK but after a while it gets very old. Because on top of that the entire surrounding desert is basically brown to.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:59 PM  

Albany, NY
I do like the differences in architecture, but the asthetic in general just doesn't seem right - maybe it's chi is off....
Old 02-02-2011, 08:35 PM  

Albany has some of the best local bands you are bound to come across.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:50 PM  
running around

Syracuse, NY
I have lived in a few different spots around the state. I went to highschool in Bethlehem and my mom still lives up there, I have to say, it isn't that bad. Yeah, you have your general city things that suck, but they also bring in things that you don't get in rural areas. Also you are within day trip distance to NYC, Toga, Vermont skiing, and the Adirondacks, not to mention everything in the city, troy and what not.

Its a give and take, but there is a lot of cool stuff to do.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:21 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmpros View Post
Just move south a bit to the Hudson Valley Woodstock, Stone Ridge, Cottekill, Accord area...only one hour south and you are in an amazing area...
I agree. It's pretty nice over here. My girlfriend lives in New Paltz and it's a pretty cool town.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Albany
Bookmark this Page!