Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Albany
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2010, 01:57 PM  

Albany, NY
Homebrewers in the area?

Since I've been recommended to check this site out by HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community., I thought I'd see where all of the homebrewers are around here. I have 2 ciders in the primary right now and will be brewing a pale ale within the next week hopefully. Anyone else around here enjoy brewing?

Old 11-18-2010, 05:19 PM  

Albany, New York
I homebrew/homedrinkbeer as well in Albany. I have been brewing for a few years on and off depending on living quarters. I've decided to brew whenever i can lately, so i have a cream ale bottled for a few months, a heavy IPA bottled last weekend, imperial stout in a long secondary waiting for the New Year, and waiting on barley wine ingredients to brew in the coming weeks for the following fall.

Where abouts in Smalbany are you, dap?

Old 11-20-2010, 09:16 PM  

Albany, NY
Grew up in Albany, moved to Guilderland for a few years, now I'm back off Central Ave. Do you brew extract or all grain? I'm slowly saving for an all grain setup, but I'm not there yet. I really hope to find the time soon for a lot of brewing. Free time is hard to come by! Sounds like you have some pretty good stuff in the works. I need to get a big stout/barleywine started soon too so it'll be ready for next winter/holiday season.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:00 AM  

Albany, New York
I do extract brews. I have been reading a little about doing partial or mini mash brews. Doesn't require alot of extra equipment and gives more control over the beer.

I feel you on the free time. I base all my brewing on what weekends i have a free day. And it helped being laid off for the summer.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:36 AM  

Evans Mills, NY
I am a few hours away over in the NNY Watertown area...also a Homebrewer (since 1993)....have a six tap keg system, do a mix of brewing extract/partial grain..but am deciding on a design for an AG brewery now and will build in the spring...currently on tap: Rootbeer/Orange Soda, Hard Lemonade, Summer Ale, Raspberry Wheat, 5 Hop IPA, (needs another week or two under co2), and Watermelon ale. In fermenting 2 wines of wife's, and Pumpkin Ale...next up Caribou Slobber Brown, Dry Irish Stout and Raspberry Wheat...... I was also referred over from HBT.com Cheers
Old 11-24-2010, 02:53 PM  

Albany, NY
I just started brewing this summer, and I live just south of albany. I get my supplies from the Homebrew Emporium in East Greenbush, which is a pretty good place for a beginner. HBT has been a huge help too...

I think I'm going to do an ESB for my next beer... it'll be a great one to have around for the winter
Old 11-26-2010, 03:11 PM  

Albany, NY, New York
Me three here! Live in Rensselaer, been brewing for a few years. Haven't lately. A few bad batches makes you stop until you figure it out and haven't been able to get back into it. I also bounced as recommended by homebrewtalk to check it out. Nothing in the fermenters now but three on the docket: Irish stout, porter and cider.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:20 AM  

Albany, New York
I'm also a homebrewer in Albany (and also referred over here from HBT.com). Been brewing for a couple years now, but been on and off over the past year after having a kid with my girlfriend. Currently have some home-pressed cider sitting in the fermenter that needs to be moved to a keg soon and have a couple of other beers lined up to brew (a Pumpernickel Ale and the house English Pale Ale).

We mostly do either extracts or partial-mash recipes (but looking to try and do some all-grain recipes sometime in the next year).
Old 11-27-2010, 01:04 PM  

I'm not in the Albany area and I have been brewing for over 20 years. I have been to the Homebrew Emporium in Rensselaer a few times visiting my daughter. They were very helpful finding what I needed. I usually brew once a week to keep the kegs happy
Old 11-28-2010, 05:42 PM  

Albany, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfurman View Post
have a couple of other beers lined up to brew (a Pumpernickel Ale and the house English Pale Ale).

That Pumpernickel Ale sounds delicious. Be sure to post up a review of it once its done. I'm excited to hear how it turns out. Can you point me in the direction of a recipe or where to pick up a kit? Thanks!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Albany
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.