Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Albany
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2010, 07:52 AM  

Albany, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by dap325 View Post
That Pumpernickel Ale sounds delicious. Be sure to post up a review of it once its done. I'm excited to hear how it turns out. Can you point me in the direction of a recipe or where to pick up a kit? Thanks!
That does sound amazing! I'd imagine its a rye beer with some molasses, coffee, and spices? Genius!

Old 11-29-2010, 08:42 AM  

Albany, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dap325 View Post
That Pumpernickel Ale sounds delicious. Be sure to post up a review of it once its done. I'm excited to hear how it turns out. Can you point me in the direction of a recipe or where to pick up a kit? Thanks!
Definitely! I think we're shooting to brew this on Thursday, so I'll let everyone know how it goes.

And sure, I'll post the recipe up on here either tonight or tomorrow (didn't see this until I got to work this morning, so I don't have the recipe on hand)

And now that I think about it... I think I still have a couple on hand from a previous batch... might have to pop one open tonight! :-)

Old 11-29-2010, 08:44 AM  

Albany, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlazzgraft View Post
That does sound amazing! I'd imagine its a rye beer with some molasses, coffee, and spices? Genius!
Yeah, from my very poor memory, I believe we use a mix of toasted rye and chocolate rye grains (along with a couple others I can't remember right now), along with some molasses and brown sugar in the wort, and a small amount of homegrown hops to help balance out the flavor.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:26 PM  

Albany, NY
I'm an Albany resident/homebrewer, but tend to do my brewing over in Richmond Massachusetts where my buddy keeps all of our equipment. I am looking to get another setup though to get things cranking around here. Emporium is great - but I have found them to be out of many items the last few times I went in.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:30 PM  

Albany, NY
Building a Kegerator!

This seems like a good place to ask: I have an old large-college-sized fridge that I have always wanted to convert to hold soda-kegs of Homebrew, Sierra Nevada, etc. I know that Brew Crew sells the beer (and I think the CO2), but I was hoping someone here would have some insight as to the best kit to buy - I want two taps, and the ebay kits seem either cheaply made or perhaps overpriced. I feel as though I could probably save a ton of money by purchasing the individual parts, but I don't know exactly what I need. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:23 PM  

Albany, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastCoast View Post
This seems like a good place to ask: I have an old large-college-sized fridge that I have always wanted to convert to hold soda-kegs of Homebrew, Sierra Nevada, etc. I know that Brew Crew sells the beer (and I think the CO2), but I was hoping someone here would have some insight as to the best kit to buy - I want two taps, and the ebay kits seem either cheaply made or perhaps overpriced. I feel as though I could probably save a ton of money by purchasing the individual parts, but I don't know exactly what I need. Any help would be appreciated.

www.kegconnection.com

Give them a try, they should have everything you need. You'll need a CO2 tank with regulator(s), shanks and faucets for the door and all of the lines/hoses for air/liquid. After that you'll need to proper keg connection, whether it be Sanke, or homebrew ball lock kegs. Brew Crew sells CO2 for 2.50/lb. I filled my tank up recently (brand new first time filling it) and they could only get 3.5lbs in it. Good luck!
Old 11-30-2010, 06:48 AM  

Albany, New York
Quote:
I'm an Albany resident/homebrewer, but tend to do my brewing over in Richmond Massachusetts where my buddy keeps all of our equipment. I am looking to get another setup though to get things cranking around here. Emporium is great - but I have found them to be out of many items the last few times I went in.
You could always look at Hammersmith Homebrew up in Latham as well. They're a little smaller than Hennessey, but usually have enough of the basic equipment on tap. Hennessey has a much larger variety to get more in-depth with brewing compared to Hammersmith, though.

I'm surprised that they've been out of items, though. Almost every time I'm there I'm able to get everything I'm looking for.

Worst case, check out a couple online sites and see if you can get a deal through one of them.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:55 AM  

Albany, New York
Quote:
I second looking at Keg Connection for the conversion kit. They're probably the most complete place to look for the kit.

I would test and make sure you're going to be able to fit two kegs plus the CO2 tank in the fridge before going out and getting the kit, though (if you already haven't). Hate for you to get the conversion kit only to find out they won't fit in the fridge.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:11 PM  

Albany, NY
Hey all -

Another homebrewer in the Albany are (mansion hill neighborhood). I have an all-grain setup, and have been brewing for about 4 years now.

Currently drinking some cider from Indian Ladder farms fermented with White Labs English Cider yeast. My first cider, and it turned out great!

For local tap and corny parts don't forget about Carbonic Sales and Service over on Central Ave!

Cheers --
Old 11-30-2010, 02:21 PM  

Albany, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfurman View Post
You could always look at Hammersmith Homebrew up in Latham as well. They're a little smaller than Hennessey, but usually have enough of the basic equipment on tap. Hennessey has a much larger variety to get more in-depth with brewing compared to Hammersmith, though.
Although still not bigger than Hennessey, Hammersmith has expanded into the space that was next to them, so they have a little more room now. I love supporting the local stores and I do it when I can, but online is just so much cheaper.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Albany
Bookmark this Page!