Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Albany
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2010, 07:20 PM  
Class Clown

Schenectady/Albany, NewYork
Looking for GOOD Albany area Vegan fare.

My daughter is Vegan and I would like to know of any resturants in the Schenectady/Albany area that has good vegan food but also serves to those of us who still like a good burger.
Please help!

Old 11-23-2010, 09:54 PM  

Liberty, New York
Good luck with that.
I worked with a Vegan and it was painful at times to locate an appropriate place to go eat. Keep in mind I work in group that is a technical team on a research vessel. We work and LIVE together 24/7 for months at a time. We were in Galveston TX, yea right maybe 1 vegan place, and in Shelburne Nova Scotia. Maybe 1 or 2 mostly sandwich places. Vegan is a way of life style not just a dietary thing.

I suspect in a large area such as Albany you will have great success in finding Vegan friendly restaurant. My co-worker that was vegan refused to even use the same cutting boards or grill for his meals. I am not sure about restaurants that claim to be vegan if they have the same constraints allowing you to have a burger and her a vegan meal. Vegetarian might be a easier task, most all chain food places have vegetarian as an option.
Sorry I could not help you more

Good luck! I find it rather hard for me to not pick on people for being vegan, I just can not understand eliminating such a large food group. Besides meat is sooo good!

Old 11-24-2010, 07:05 AM  
Class Clown

Ther are a couple that we do go to but are looking to find more just to have more choices.
She is vegan as a statement against animal cruelty as opposed to the health aspect so I feel guilty when I kid her(well,not really) about it,but I also respect her for sticking to her beliefs.
The places we go cater to both and I'm sure she knows that the food is prepared in the same place but it doesn't seem to bother her too much.
I had my first vegan approved candy bar last night and suprizingly it was pretty good!
Old 11-24-2010, 02:45 PM  

Albany, NY
You could try bombers burritos, they have a couple vegetarian/vegan options, if you're looking for mexican food that is. Huge portions too - there's one in albany and schenectady.

I've also heard the new world cafe on delaware ave is good... they have a few vegan options. My sister is vegan so i'll ask her next time i see her and post some more options... hope this helps!
Old 11-25-2010, 05:49 AM  
Class Clown

I'm not too far from the Bombers in Schenectady and have been meaning to try it but just haven't made it click.I dunno why 'cause it's so close.
We've been to Little Anthonys one Central ave a couple times.They have a pretty good size vegetarian,vegen menu.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:27 AM  

Schenectady, NY
The Schenectady Green Market Farmer's market often has a couple of food sellers that advetise as Vegan. I've tried some of the food and it's great. They would be a great place to check for local referrals as well. The green market is held on Sundays in the Proctor's arcade (during winter) and in front of City hall during spring, fall and summer.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:18 PM  

Albany, NY
"Scratch" near lark street has many vegan options. The soups are amazing!!
Old 12-28-2010, 05:18 PM  

Albany, NY
You could try one of many Indian restaurants (if you haven't already). Karavali in Latham is amazing, as is Aashiana in Albany. Two different worlds though. The first is more of an upscale place and the latter is very small and comfy. My gf enjoys vegan fare whenever she gets the opportunity.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:25 AM  

New Hyde Park, NY
I had dinner with my Vegan friend at Phonecias in Albany a few nights ago. It is a lebanese / middle eastern place.

New World Home Cooking is also superb...she would love that place. You must get the blackened string beans as an appetizer.

You will find the following places tend to be Vegan friendly or have Vegan dishes she would enjoy.

Middle Eastern
Ethiopian
Thai
Chinese

The all have good vegetable dishes.

I know of several great Vegan places south of Albany....in Tivoli and Saugerties.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:26 AM  

New Hyde Park, NY
Also, try this online resource....link below.

Happy Cow . net

Vegetarian Restaurants Guide / Vegan Food Directory of Natural Health Food Stores by HappyCow

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Albany
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.