Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arizona
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2011, 01:56 PM  
Clown

Casa Grande, Arizona
Dogs in the AZ heat

Looking to see how people take care of man's best friend during our summers. I am in the process of buying my first home. It has a good sized yard so I am thinking of getting a dog.

Specifically a boxer, but from what I have read they don't do well in the heat. However on the same search there seems to be hundreds of Boxers for sale in Arizona. So they can't be that fragile right? I can keep it inside worst case scenario.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:24 PM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
It's best that you have a mainly inside dog. Its not just because of heat but also coyotes, all the insects (our ticks alone carry a ton of diseases like Lime disease) and spiders (I lost a dog to black widows before). Plus its just nice to let your best friend live inside.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:02 PM  
Clown

Casa Grande, Arizona
Ah thanks... I didn't even consider pests like that at all. Can definitely see spiders, scorpions and such being a problem. Well kind of figured I would be getting a short haired dog because I mainly wanted to keep them outside (not during the summers of course). But from what I have been reading Boxers don't do well inside. What type do you have?
Old 02-21-2011, 03:49 PM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
I have a pit bull, Gizmo, right now. But I have had a Boxer, Rottweiler, 2 Pugs, a Bloodhound all through out my life. If you train them right any dog is good anywhere. All my dogs have been mainly indoor dogs. It just comes down to how willing you are to work with them, it's just like raising kids.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:38 PM  

Chandler, AZ
I have a St. Bernard, which is obviously not a dog at home in the Arizona heat. I keep her mainly inside, and give her lots of water, especially when she's been outside. If it's a hot summer day, I won't risk taking her out. If I take her on a 15 min walk on a really hot day its too much for her (lays down and pants for 30 min).
Old 02-21-2011, 08:52 PM  

Tucson/Austin, AZ/TX
If you do keep your dog outside, or even let your dog out in the summer, be sure to keep it safe. Make sure there is a place in your yard that is shaded most of the day, it'll stay a little bit cooler there. Also be sure to keep a big bowl of water out for the dog, and make sure it is never empty. I know also that my dogs like cooling off in the pool, so if you have one letting them have access to it is nice. All in all its still best to keep them inside if possible.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:57 PM  

+1 to what Tj said. Give them a shady spot and plenty of water, a pool is even better.
If you live in the city then you don't need to worry as much about the pests and coyotes.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:17 PM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadfire View Post
If you live in the city then you don't need to worry as much about the pests and coyotes.
I live ant Golf Links and Kolb. I'm always seeing coyotes in the wash and back alleys here. And the pests are everywhere no matter what.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:58 AM  
fustrated genius

Honestly, you really should be more concerned about HEAT than critters getting your dog. I say this though, after loosing a dog to a rattlesnake. It's really wise to take all caution into consideration but pay particular attention to the heat issues. Bring your dog inside with the AC when it's hot.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:26 PM  

near Tucson, Arizona
Dog door so they have access to the AC. Our Golden/Chow mix spends most mornings outside, but as soon as it really starts heating up, she is in the house until the sun goes down, goes without saying, lots of cool water available.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arizona
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.