Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arizona
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2010, 09:47 PM  

Glendale, Arizona
Ghost towns and haunted places...

Jerome, Tombstone, Bisbee, Crown King. Arizona is full of so called "Ghost towns." They are old, dilapidated, seldom populated, and usually downright creepy. Almost all of them are abandoned, and every one of them have stories to tell. They just need someone to tell them.

So if any of you have visited any of Arizona's many ghost towns, or haunted buildings, tell us your stories. Share your pictures. Did you feel like you weren't alone? Did you feel like you were being watched? Did things go bump in the night? If so we want to hear it.

Not just the towns either. Specific buildings such as the Hotel Vendome in Prescott. Or the old building at Chandler High School. Maybe you have driven through 51st Avenue and Indian School Road, Where there's an unhappy female ghost who screams as if getting hit by cars. Tell us your stories!!!

bonus points for pictures of your trip.
major kudos if your pictures have a ghostly presence.

have a haunting good time!

Old 09-30-2010, 10:05 PM  

Glendale, Arizona
CROWN KING:
The following is my history buff nature kicking with a somewhat brief history of a town that is near and dear to Jeep enthusiasts hearts. It's a wonderful "halfway point" or destination for those seeking to wheel their way out of the Phoenix heat.

Following this history is a short description of my latest trip to Crown King. and pictures! I hope you enjoy.

In Yavapai county, somewhere out in the rugged Bradshaw Mountains, there are dozens of ghost towns that date back to the late 1800’s. shadows of times gone by when it was literally every man for himself in the search for undiscovered wealth in the form of copper, gold, and silver.

(not my picture)

The towns were eventually incorporated with established post offices, saloons, even schools and churches. For their time they had everything a miner would need. But now, they are nothing more than shadows. A distant memory from their previous grandeur. Eventually, the mines played out, and one by one, the equipment fell silent. And the towns were deserted. Nothing remaining in their place except the foundations of what used to stand, and whispers of the past.

There is however, nestled high up in the Bradshaws, one town that has endured through the years. Crown King was established in 1875 as the supporting city to the Crowned King gold mine. The post office was established on June 29th 1888 until the mines played out and was closed in 1954. Since then the post office has been re-opened to accommodate the 130 people today who call Crown King home. The mine was the mainstay of the town of Crown King. So much ore was produced that a railroad was called for to move it all to Prescott.

(not my picture)

The rail service began in 1904 and was called murphys impossible railroad, as the terrain was tough and incredibly difficult to navigate via, rail. Today the railroad is a distant memory. All of the rails have been removed and scrapped. The only thing left is the bridges that the train would cross. Today the main road taken from the I-17 uses most of the old rail bed as the route to the ghost town.

At its height, Crown King had 500 buildings, including several company stores and boarding houses, two Chinese restaurants and a post office. The town was electrified by 1897 and had one telephone at that time. The owners of the mine didn’t tolerate drunkenness from their employees, thus the town attracted a higher class of miner. The Crowned King mine alone produced well over $2 million dollars in gold before it played out.

Today, what remains of the towns rich past is the Saloon, which was brought piece by piece to Crown King when the mine in Oro- Belle played out and the town was deserted. Also left over are the general store, a few residences and small museum.

(not my picture)

------

I had the opportunity to visit Crown king, but as much of a history buff as I am, I was most astonished by the incredible beauty that is locked away in the Bradshaws. Starting with the under-stated exit from the I-17, I am immediately drawn to my surroundings. The road is dirt and relatively well maintained as you pass through the ghost town of Bumble Bee. But as I worked my way up the road, the more I realized that the road was becoming increasingly grated and rain damaged. Almost as if I were driving over gods washboard for 27 miles.

But as I pass through the ghosts and semi-ghosts like Cleator and Alexandra, I also noticed that the landscape was becoming more stunning. Being that it was approaching evening time, the already beautiful landscape was being accentuated by the setting sun along with a fierce thunderstorm that had been brewing all day. Making for some amazing photos. Unfortunately I had dead batteries in my camera so I was reduced to snapping shots with my Iphone.

My partner and I ate lunch at the Saloon and started back snapping pictures as we went. The rain catching up with us at moments, making for a chilly ride back to the main highway and ultimately home.

I’ve taken the “back door” trail to Crown King twice before, but that route takes 3 times as long and is a dead guarantee that you will be spending money on your rig to fix something you broke. I must say that this ride was much more relaxing and equally fulfilling.

jeep clubs outside the saloon at Crown King

(not my picture)

Anyway, I hope you all get an opportunity to bring your rigs down to Arizona. I hope you get to try your luck coming up the back door to this small rest stop high in the cool hills, and I hope you get to take the easy road out and see the beauty I saw as you make your way to the highway and on to other trails in this great state that I call home.

Happy Trails everybody. And remember to tread lightly.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:53 PM  
Tea Party Liberal

Mesa, Az
Funny that you say 'creepy': in the above communities I feel a sense of peace. Maybe because I do not care for crowds of people-----------especially rowdies.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:51 PM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
Whats the name of that ghost town out past green valley?
Old 10-04-2010, 10:02 PM  

Phoenix, AZ
@ Sandman... great pics and story.

I am hoping to discover new old ghost towns (to me anyway ) in my trail travels this fall.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:56 PM  

Glendale, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNukemYJ View Post
Whats the name of that ghost town out past green valley?
theres a small one off the 19 called Brownell. thats near Green Valley. there is nothing left of it. MAYBE a few foundations if your willing to look for them. theres another town that is east of green valley (closer to the I-10) called Silver Bell. its kinda like a new meets old. the town is dead, but there is some recent mining at the site. the only problem is that a few years back ASARCO fenced off the entire area and destroyed what was left of the old town. they left the cemetery alone last i checked, but i wouldnt be suprised if the fenced that off too.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:16 AM  

Glendale, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillar View Post
@ Sandman... great pics and story.

I am hoping to discover new old ghost towns (to me anyway ) in my trail travels this fall.
hey thanks. hopefully next time ill have a proper camera so i can bring you guys some real photography.

but if you ever feel adventurous and want to check out some nifty areas this fall and winter i suggest:

head towards Gleeson. it was a copper mining town that is a ghost with only a few residence. it was established in the 1890's and has LOADS to take pictures of. i honestly dont remember how to get there, but im sure it wouldnt take long to find out. if anything, its nearby Tombstone, so if your in the area your guaranteed to see at least one interesting town. lol.

but if you want the motherload, just get a decent 4 wheel drive and head out to Yavapai county. the Bradshaw Mountains are LITTERED with ghost towns and semi ghosts. all you gotta do is explore a little. some of them still have signs. but be careful as many of them never covered the mines. i know of a guy who drove his jeep right into the opening of the Oro-Belle Mine. just a hole in the ground ya know?

one more thing NEVER go alone. you are probably a smart guy, but i dont want you or anyone else to just run off without fair warning that, many of these places are situated out in the boonies. people that i like to refer to as "hill folk" live out there in the sticks and farm...certain illegal crops. they dont like strangers on their property, and there is a whole lotta land up there for someone to "go missing" in. not only do i suggest having other people with you on your search for these ghosts, i suggest having at least one other vehicle with you as well. preferably equipped with 4 wheel drive.

it is fun though. going out and finding these places. so keep to the trails and youll be fine. i hope you get out there before it gets TOO cold.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:02 AM  

Quartzsite, Arizona
Looking forward to more .....
Old 10-13-2010, 10:06 PM  

Glendale, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowirdHunter View Post
Looking forward to more .....
as soon as im able to find a job, im sure ill be going out to these towns more and more often, and get some photos.

i would ultimately like to do my own documentations of as many of these towns as i can.

when the stars align hopefully ill be able to get more up here for everyone. hopefully someone else can share their experiences?
Old 10-14-2010, 05:49 AM  

Louisville, Kentucky
I have to say. I'm on tons of forums and man that post by far was the best I have ever read. Thank you for sharing that info with us.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arizona
Bookmark this Page!