Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arizona
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2010, 08:48 AM  

Virginia
Make sure to visit Jerome AZ, it's an old Ghost town, basically. Near Cottonwood, south of Flagstaff. Also, the painted desert and petrified forest are must sees. The drive down through red rock/oak creek canyon is one of the most beautiful drives imaginable.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:46 AM  
Lost in the woods

Phoenix, AZ
Knowing what time of year you are planning on coming would help alot. Like another poster said the North Rim is closed during the winter. It's a long drive from the Arizona side. I wouldn't say it was necessarily better, but it is much 'touristy' and quiet a differnt look then South Side. Canyon de Chelly is very beautiful, Wupatki, is pretty cool 'Indian' thing. They are all abandond but give you a feel of what Native American used to live like. Also in Northern Az/Flagstaff are there is Sunset Crater and Walnut Canyon. You might want to look at getting Season Pass for the National Monuments. It used to be that going to the Canyon and 2 other National Parks would pay for it. Also you've got Montezuma's Well and Castle if you head South of Phoenix. You thing you'll have to take into account if that places are a lot futher apart then back east so you can spend a lot of time on the road.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:21 PM  

phoenixville, pa
Well in order to maintain happiness (and my marriage) 'we' have decided to go with hotels.. I am trying to fit everything in, but somehow maintain my sanity (we'll see how that goes).. This is my "planned" itinerary for April 16th thru the 23rd:
D1 (Sat)
Fly into phoenix
Check out the South Mountain

D2 (sun)
Drive the Apache Trail and check out the sights

D3 (mon)
Drive to Flagstaff via Winslow & 'The Crater'

D4 (tue)
South rim/3hr mule ride

D5 (Wed)
Visit the Hopi Tribe or Page or Rainbow Bridge

D6 (thur)
Sedona
Jeep tour

D7 (fri)
Sedon, Jerome

D8 (Sat)
Tucson (Pima Air Museum)
fly home

What do you think? Too much, too little, not going to the right places???

Thanks for all the advice!
Kevin

***edit for correct days***
Old 01-30-2011, 11:58 PM  

I believe if you don't find time to visit Lake Havasu, especially the London Bridge, you might regret it. Especially if you come out in warmer weather, where much of the clothing gets pretty skimpy, if you know what I mean!
Old 01-31-2011, 01:34 AM  

phoenixville, pa
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I believe if you don't find time to visit Lake Havasu, especially the London Bridge, you might regret it. Especially if you come out in warmer weather, where much of the clothing gets pretty skimpy, if you know what I mean!
How warm will it be in April?
Old 02-04-2011, 06:56 AM  

Oak Grove, MN
Don't waste the time and money on jeep tour in Sedona. Stop at the visitor center and they will draw areas on a map to see everything for free. You can drive to the observation places in a regular car. Make sure to see the Chapel while in Sedona.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:02 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzryr61 View Post
How warm will it be in April?
Per one of the websites:

Lake Havasu temperature averages for the month of April is 86 degrees for the high, and 59 for the low. It is a great time to visit the area!
Old 02-08-2011, 07:02 PM  
fustrated genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Per one of the websites:

Lake Havasu temperature averages for the month of April is 86 degrees for the high, and 59 for the low. It is a great time to visit the area!
If you do make it to Havasu, two good eating places are "El Mariachi" Mexican food and "Black Bear Diner" American food.

Also, Arizona's first "European type" settlement was in southern AZ. And if you are into history especially colonial history (Spanish) you may want to visit the two missions in So. AZ and Tubac established in 1752.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:34 AM  

tucson, az
when in tucson spend a part of the day (sunset?)walking in Saguaro National Park west. Free and close to town, or if foot weary consider the tram ride up sabino canyon. near the air museum San Xavier Mission on the reservation is the oldest buidling still in use in the US. Google White Dove of the Desert. Have some fry bread or an O'odham red chile Burro (thats a large burrito)

FYI I disagree about skipping the sedona jeep tour, take a jeep tour or rent one. exciting stuff for a PA boy (my family is from Donora/Charleroi)picnic atop schenbly hill, or vist the little known cliff dwellings south of town (Polatki and Honanki). Sedona town while scenic is touristy and overun....yes with a rental car or even the local shuttles you can get to lots of fantastic day hiking spots but rock crawling in a jeep is as fun or funner than a mule ride.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:30 PM  
Adventure Guide

Prescott, Arizona
The Prescott Area is beautiful, with lots to see and do.

If your family is interested in a guided day hike or mountain bike ride, contact me.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arizona
Bookmark this Page!