Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arizona
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2010, 02:49 PM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
Vineyards in Arizona

Are there any regions in AZ that are known for their vineyards?

Old 11-13-2010, 03:27 PM  

Phoenix, Arizona
Yes,
We have several vineyards in AZ. At this time there are 2 main areas we grow wine grapes. One is in central area of the state just south of Sedona in the Verde River area. The second area is in the south eastern part of the state, this is the area I get my grapes from. I know most people think it is to hot in AZ to grow wine grapes but that is not true for the areas I have mentioned, infact our problem is not from the heat at all, our biggest issue to deal with is last frost after bud break and late season wind and hail storms. There are several of us also growing wine grapes in Phoenix and Tucson were it is very hot. The AZ wine growing industry is in it's infancy but is growing quickly.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:18 PM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
Yea I figured since grapes really were first grown in climates a lot like some areas of AZ.

Between the two areas is one a lot more vibrant then the other in terms of how many vineyards there are?
Old 11-13-2010, 10:26 PM  

Phoenix, Arizona
90% of the tasting rooms are located in and around Cornville and Jerome about 15 minutes from Sedona because this is a tourist area. There are probably 8 or 10 vineyards with tasting rooms in the southern area but this is a very rural area not a lot of tourist. IMO I prefer the fruit grown outside of Willcox in the Kansas Settlement area, not that the fruit from the central area is bad it is also very good.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:30 PM  

Maricopa, Arizona
Isn't there a fairly famous musician with a vineyard and winery in the South East corner of AZ, maybe near Patagonia?
Old 11-17-2010, 01:14 PM  

Tucson, AZ
Yes,

Maynard the lead singer of the famous bands (Tool, A Perfect Circle, and Pucifer) owns and operates a vineyard in Jerome Arizona. They also have a documentry which I think is called "Blood into wine" which talks about the owning and operating vineyards in arizona.

I have a bottle of wine signed by him and Glomski his master winemaker.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:16 PM  

Tucson, AZ
pulled this off of wikipedia.

He is the current owner of Merkin Vineyards and the associated winery, Caduceus Cellars, and has part ownership of Stronghold Vineyards, all located in Arizona
Old 11-17-2010, 07:39 PM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
Interesting. Are their wines actually quite good?
Old 11-17-2010, 07:45 PM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekGunner View Post
Yes,

Maynard the lead singer of the famous bands (Tool, A Perfect Circle, and Pucifer) owns and operates a vineyard in Jerome Arizona. They also have a documentry which I think is called "Blood into wine" which talks about the owning and operating vineyards in arizona.

I have a bottle of wine signed by him and Glomski his master winemaker.
I know that. I had a bottle of "Judith" (named after the song) once.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:27 PM  

Tucson, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Interesting. Are their wines actually quite good?
I'm not much of a wine guy so I'm probably not the best to ask. I'd rather have a nice home brewed beer

I had the chupacabra wine which was pretty tasty and fairly strong to boot. Still wasn't my cup of tea, but better than the cheapy wines my wife usually has me try. Although I imagine your paying more for the name than the actual quality of the wine. I'm sure you could pay the same price and find a better bottle of wine elsewhere.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arizona
Bookmark this Page!