Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2011, 12:05 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I've only heard of five out of the nine games listed. It must be a youth thing.
Which ones?

Mancala is the world's oldest game and Othello (reversi) is up there in age as well.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:13 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I've never learned how to play chess, and feel like I've missed something pretty important.
Never too late. It's easy to learn but hard to master.

We have all the previously mentioned games except Othello and Dvonn. Now that the kids are older, we don't play as many of them as often as we used to but some are still right up there on a rainy day. Cards are great fun too.

Although not really board games, we also got a lot of mileage out of Jenga, Pictionary and Gestures.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:54 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
my two favorites

The only two board games I really enjoyed were Parcheesi and Trivial Pursuit. But I haven't played either one in years.
We also had a game similar to Yahtzee called Kismet which I liked playing by myself.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:00 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
A card game I dislike that everyone else loves is Uno. I remember getting a card deck when it was first made in the early 1970s. At first we played it following the instructions, and because after someone who is ready to go "out" and says "Uno" the game must still go around the table twice leading to the apparent winner being blocked, our games would NEVER end. So we changed the rules and would just say "Uno" and that would be the end of the game.
Many years later I played Uno again at a party with a number of us at a table. People would say "Uno" and then the card game would continue around the table twice, with someone of course blocking the person who said "Uno." After almost a half hour of this nonsense with a game that obviously was not going to end, I threw in my cards and walked away to socialize. I don't know if the game ever DID end.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:40 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
We don't bother with the board for Trivial Pursuit anymore. Trivia need to be fast paced imo.

We just have a huge pile of cards from all the different versions and will sit around the fire drinking beers, eating snacks and asking random questions.

Laughs ensue
Old 10-05-2011, 12:55 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
Never too late. It's easy to learn but hard to master.

We have all the previously mentioned games except Othello and Dvonn. Now that the kids are older, we don't play as many of them as often as we used to but some are still right up there on a rainy day. Cards are great fun too.

Although not really board games, we also got a lot of mileage out of Jenga, Pictionary and Gestures.
I like Jenga.

Havasu, I know how to play chess and I stink at it. It's worth learning though.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:19 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I can't believe no one has mentioned Backgammon. It's a great board game.

And Austin mentioned Mancala, which is also a great game. I have a really nice hand made board with some really strange nuts for stones that I bought on a beach in Antigua many years ago. Mancala is is also known as Wari.

Good and fun game!
Old 10-05-2011, 06:23 PM  

We have been playing the dice game "Farkle" lately. It is lots of fun.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:25 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Never heard of that game before so I Googled it, and by George it looks like it could be Farking fun!!

Has anyone ever played Mille Bornes? It's a 1964 classic car race card game that we used to play at the cottage with my parents when we were kids. Fond memories.
Board Games-3273212090_c76fd8139f.jpg 

Old 10-10-2011, 01:33 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
I can't believe no one has mentioned Backgammon. It's a great board game.

And Austin mentioned Mancala, which is also a great game. I have a really nice hand made board with some really strange nuts for stones that I bought on a beach in Antigua many years ago. Mancala is is also known as Wari.

Good and fun game!
I want a "rustic" set for my house. All I have ar the cheap Chinese ones. When I see them on sale I buy a few and give them to people. I've been playing Mancala for years and have never grown tired of it.

Quote:
Never heard of that game before so I Googled it, and by George it looks like it could be Farking fun!!

Has anyone ever played Mille Bornes? It's a 1964 classic car race card game that we used to play at the cottage with my parents when we were kids. Fond memories.
Never heard of it.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.