Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2011, 03:17 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Dark Days

Dark Days (2000) - IMDb

Just saw this. I'm a huge fan of documentaries and this one conveys the sense of community and understanding of the homeless living in Amtrak subways over a decade ago.

It's interesting to see how community and sense of belonging develop in what would be considered deplorable conditions.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:32 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Storyline
Near Penn Station, next to the Amtrak tracks, squatters have been living for years. Marc Singer goes underground to live with them, and films this "family." A dozen or so men and one woman talk about their lives: horrors of childhood, jail time, losing children, being coke-heads. They scavenge, they've built themselves sturdy one-room shacks; they have pets, cook, chat, argue, give each other haircuts. A bucket is their toilet. Leaky overhead pipes are a source of water for showers. They live in virtual darkness. During the filming, Amtrak gives a 30-day eviction notice.
I've seen excerpts but never the full piece. Can't manage the bandwidth at present but I'll keep the link. Merci

Old 08-09-2011, 06:50 PM  
Supporting Member

Aylett (Richmond Area), VA
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=amtrak+homeless&aq=f

Outside Society directed by Steven Dupler

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Bookmark this Page!