Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2014, 09:00 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
going without cable is expensive!

When you live in an apartment complex and are a female over the age of 40, going without cable TV can be expensive!
I survived without cable--barely--for six weeks before caving and subscribing in 2009. In 2011 I increased the amount of channels I had available.
Over-the-air TV is impossible in an apartment complex that is in a valley. I could pick up only two or three channels even with the adapter. During that cable-less time, I was going to the movies twice a week. Sure, I was using discounts at the first-run or going to the second-run, but it still added up. Sometimes I wanted to watch something on cable, such as an old rerun or a TV movie and would drive to my mom's house to watch it out of desperation.
Then Time Warner continued its programming decisions of dropping women-oriented channels to make room for more HD sports channels. I finally decided to get the next package up, which included more old rerun channels and more movie channels.
As an official old person, I watch Up, Inspiration and Hallmark all the time, and so do a lot of other women I know!

Old 07-07-2014, 05:57 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
an update

My mother, who lives in her own home, made the decision to switch from Time Warner to Direct TV last December, and also increased the number of channels she has. Like me, she now watches Up all the time. Up is not available to basic cable subscribers. Another reason I watch Up is because it is the only channel in the United States which carries the Canadian series Heartland. Heartland is no longer syndicated to US OTA stations, and it is not available for streaming.
Are there other older adults who have increased their cable packages because basic cable and the local stations were no longer providing reruns of anything except Law & Order and The Big Bang Theory?

Old 08-20-2014, 03:31 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
the reason

This is the reason I increased my cable package, rather than discontinuing it like so many others are doing.
https://twitter.com/HeartlandOnCBC/s...31506332987392

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Bookmark this Page!