Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Click Here to Login

Reply
Old 11-14-2011, 07:44 PM  
fustrated genius
 
HiHood's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,054 | Kudos: +100
J. Edgar . . . .the movie

My wife and I went to see J Edgar today. I really liked the movie a lot. It was pretty good. It showed Hoover's advancement and ultimate building of the FBI and how things such as fingerprints and evidence in crime were changed and the data centralized. It had no nudity yet conveyed the messages that were conduit to the story line.
J. Edgar . . . .the movie-j-edgar.jpg 

__________________

__________________
Phewy!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:38 PM  
Senior Member
 
Sideways's Avatar

Houston, Texas
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 980 | Kudos: +33
Images: 1
But did it show him wearing a dress?
__________________

__________________
"Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal. Never forget that everything the Founding Fathers did was not." Martin Luther King, Jr.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:27 PM  
fustrated genius
 
HiHood's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,054 | Kudos: +100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
But did it show him wearing a dress?
Yeah, but in reality, that was a story told by a woman who said she saw him in a dress at a gay orgy, she later said she never attended any gay orgies.

It was a great movie about a great man, gay or otherwise. The critics said it was horrible and really reamed old Clint Eastwood about it, but we thought it was a great movie. How accurate was it I don't know, I do remember him being the head FBI guy and dying when Tricky-Dick was president.
__________________
Phewy!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:02 AM  
Senior Member
 
Sideways's Avatar

Houston, Texas
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 980 | Kudos: +33
Images: 1
Just kidding about the dress thing. It wouldn't matter to me anyway. I appreciate your review and may see this one. When Leonardo DiCap first became a lead in movies I wasn't a fan of his (still not) but after seeing "The Man In The Iron Mask" and "The Aviator" I gotta admit he is a very skilled actor. I wouldn't rely on Hollywood for historical accuracy to any degree.
Hoover was single handedly responsible for MAJOR changes in law enforcement techniques, communications, roles and responsibilities, etc. not just at the fed but state and local levels. Might see this one.
__________________
"Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal. Never forget that everything the Founding Fathers did was not." Martin Luther King, Jr.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:42 AM  
Moderator Emeritus
 
Austin's Avatar

Texas
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,990 | Kudos: +90
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Just kidding about the dress thing. It wouldn't matter to me anyway. I appreciate your review and may see this one. When Leonardo DiCap first became a lead in movies I wasn't a fan of his (still not) but after seeing "The Man In The Iron Mask" and "The Aviator" I gotta admit he is a very skilled actor. I wouldn't rely on Hollywood for historical accuracy to any degree.
Hoover was single handedly responsible for MAJOR changes in law enforcement techniques, communications, roles and responsibilities, etc. not just at the fed but state and local levels. Might see this one.
I like him all in all. What's Eating Gilbert Grape cemented that for me though.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:08 PM  
fustrated genius
 
HiHood's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,054 | Kudos: +100
My wife laughed at me when I told her Leonardo Cappachino was in it,"you know, that guy in Titanic" She said he had been in this movie and that movie
__________________
Phewy!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:25 AM  
Moderator Emeritus
 
Austin's Avatar

Texas
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,990 | Kudos: +90
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
My wife laughed at me when I told her Leonardo Cappachino was in it,"you know, that guy in Titanic" She said he had been in this movie and that movie
I know of more than a few he was in.

I like him as an actor but Titanic was not one of the roles I appreciated.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:24 PM  
Senior Member
 
Sideways's Avatar

Houston, Texas
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 980 | Kudos: +33
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin

I know of more than a few he was in.

I like him as an actor but Titanic was not one of the roles I appreciated.
I agree. But if you ever get the chance to see "The Aviator" or "The Man In The Iron Mask" check 'em out. His acting skills show up there.
__________________
"Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal. Never forget that everything the Founding Fathers did was not." Martin Luther King, Jr.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:15 AM  
Moderator Emeritus
 
Austin's Avatar

Texas
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,990 | Kudos: +90
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
I agree. But if you ever get the chance to see "The Aviator" or "The Man In The Iron Mask" check 'em out. His acting skills show up there.
Same thing with The Beach, Inception, Shutter Island, and Gangs of New York.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:39 PM  
Senior Member
 
Sideways's Avatar

Houston, Texas
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 980 | Kudos: +33
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Same thing with The Beach, Inception, Shutter Island, and Gangs of New York.
Never saw The Beach. Inception and Gangs of New York were OK, IMHO. Got Shutter Island yesterday off MIRO (torrent). I'll watch that over the weekend.
__________________

__________________
"Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal. Never forget that everything the Founding Fathers did was not." Martin Luther King, Jr.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Bookmark this Page!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Suggested Threads

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.