Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2011, 08:59 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Lord of the Rings

Saw this in another thread, figured I'd see who else has read it... a lot.

I read it once a year, I can pick it up at any point and start reading though so I sometimes just read chapters.

I have a copy of all the books and material all together, along with paper backs for all three books.

Any other LOTR fans?

How do you feel about the production of the Hobbit? I really liked the Hobbit too, I worry that they will leave stuff out of the movie like they did with LOTR.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:18 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I read it a few times in my youthful days and have a few nice editions on my shelves myself. Plus all the various paperback versions my kids keep lying around like dictionaries.

The Hobbit is also a great tale. I remember my dad reading it to me when I was just a wee little lad

I'm going to reserve judgement on the Hobbit movie, but I thought the LOTR trilogy was an epic production and was not disappointed by it at all. For a movie based on a book, it was about as good as it's ever gotten.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:02 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
True, I'm bitter becausr they left out the end and Tom.

Tom I kind of understand, but the ending? AM I really the only one upset by it?

As for the Hobbit, we will see. Smog should be fun envisioned but Peter Jackson.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:35 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
I read it once a year,
I'm cursed with too much recall to manage rereading it often so once a year evokes envy on my part. I first read it at 23. In the late eighties I reread it and again in perhaps 2005. I'd like one more shot at it but not quite yet. The Ring Trilogy is in my mind the finest example of it's genre.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:22 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
I'm cursed with too much recall to manage rereading it often so once a year evokes envy on my part. I first read it at 23. In the late eighties I reread it and again in perhaps 2005. I'd like one more shot at it but not quite yet. The Ring Trilogy is in my mind the finest example of it's genre.
I too remember everything (books, life, etc), I don't think that's why I read it.

I think the depth gets me, the imagery, the story, I don't re read because I don't remember it, but maybe because I remember it to well and theirs comfort in that?

Don't know, never really thought about it.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:35 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
The odd part is that nothing I've read in 60+ years of reading ever came close. nothing.
Lord of the Rings-3429.jpg 

Lord of the Rings-tolkien_photo_h-m.jpg 

Lord of the Rings-mordo.jpg 

Lord of the Rings-smaug_over_esgaroth.jpg 

Lord of the Rings-jrr_tolkien_howesm.jpg 

Lord of the Rings-barad-dur.jpg 

Lord of the Rings-86b.jpg 

Lord of the Rings-castle_ted_nasmith.jpg 

Lord of the Rings-jrr_tolkien_howe013-1.jpg 

Lord of the Rings-j-r-r-tolkien-s-lord-rings-original.jpg 

Old 09-26-2011, 07:02 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I've read a lot of books, but The Lord of the Rings is by far the most enthralling and memorable literature I've ever read.

I'm looking forward to the release of The Hobbit and will enjoy it even if it doesn't live up to my expectations.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:09 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR

Professor Tolkien was known to frequently comment that the internal combustion engine was the greatest evil visited upon modern man. He was not enamoured of technology. He despaired over the reckless upheaval and destruction of nature in pursuit of gain. In his novel, The Lord of the Rings, there are malicious trees. However, he does not credit the trees themselves as being evil; he instead illustrates that they are corrupted by the evil spreading through Middle Earth. Lands which are barren of trees are places from which evil operates. Charecters who love and respect trees are on the side of good; those who destroy the trees of Middle Earth to fuel the fires of industry are on the side of evil.
His love of trees is most evident in the charecter of Treebeard. Treebeard in an Ent, a shepard of the forest. Ents, of which Treebeard is the chieftain, have the responsibility of keeping trees safe, and to keep them from harming the innocent in these troubled times. Fangorn Forest, Treebeard's ancient home, has been mistreated by devious Orcs in the service of the power-hungry wizard, Saruman. In fact, when Treebeard first meets the hobbits Merry and Pippin in Sir Peter Jackson's film adaption of the novel, he mistakes them for "little orcs".
Professor Tolkien's love of trees and all the creations of nature made him non-violent. However, it is obvious in his writings that, as Samwise Gamgee says in the film adaption of The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, "There is some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for!". Without a doubt, his books make it clear that trees are assuredly worth fighting for. The ents are roused by the mistreatment of the trees, and they march upon Isengard, where the wizard Saruman ravages all available natural resources to create the armor and weapons needed by his orcs in war.
The ents destroy the dam that Saruman built to harness the power of the River Isen, dousing the fires in the smithies. In the days after this great battle, Treebeard makes note that the evil visited upon this land will wash away, and that eventually trees will return to live there. This reminds us that despite all we do the Earth, be it Middle Earth, or our own Earth, Nature will, one way or the other renew itself.

or not............

JRR Tolkien: Friend of Trees
Lord of the Rings-tolkiens_favorite_tree-_oxford_botanical_garden_50.jpg 

Old 09-28-2011, 08:19 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
I've read a lot of books, but The Lord of the Rings is by far the most enthralling and memorable literature I've ever read.

I'm looking forward to the release of The Hobbit and will enjoy it even if it doesn't live up to my expectations.
That may be why I read it as often as I do. It stands out so vividly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post

Professor Tolkien was known to frequently comment that the internal combustion engine was the greatest evil visited upon modern man. He was not enamoured of technology. He despaired over the reckless upheaval and destruction of nature in pursuit of gain. In his novel, The Lord of the Rings, there are malicious trees. However, he does not credit the trees themselves as being evil; he instead illustrates that they are corrupted by the evil spreading through Middle Earth. Lands which are barren of trees are places from which evil operates. Charecters who love and respect trees are on the side of good; those who destroy the trees of Middle Earth to fuel the fires of industry are on the side of evil.
His love of trees is most evident in the charecter of Treebeard. Treebeard in an Ent, a shepard of the forest. Ents, of which Treebeard is the chieftain, have the responsibility of keeping trees safe, and to keep them from harming the innocent in these troubled times. Fangorn Forest, Treebeard's ancient home, has been mistreated by devious Orcs in the service of the power-hungry wizard, Saruman. In fact, when Treebeard first meets the hobbits Merry and Pippin in Sir Peter Jackson's film adaption of the novel, he mistakes them for "little orcs".
Professor Tolkien's love of trees and all the creations of nature made him non-violent. However, it is obvious in his writings that, as Samwise Gamgee says in the film adaption of The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, "There is some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for!". Without a doubt, his books make it clear that trees are assuredly worth fighting for. The ents are roused by the mistreatment of the trees, and they march upon Isengard, where the wizard Saruman ravages all available natural resources to create the armor and weapons needed by his orcs in war.
The ents destroy the dam that Saruman built to harness the power of the River Isen, dousing the fires in the smithies. In the days after this great battle, Treebeard makes note that the evil visited upon this land will wash away, and that eventually trees will return to live there. This reminds us that despite all we do the Earth, be it Middle Earth, or our own Earth, Nature will, one way or the other renew itself.

or not............

JRR Tolkien: Friend of Trees
Ents were one of my favorite characters, I ended up doing a sculpture and giving it to a friend of mine. I'll see if he won't get some pics of it.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:28 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Ents were one of my favorite characters, I ended up doing a sculpture and giving it to a friend of mine. I'll see if he won't get some pics of it.
Now I'm curious. I expected the movie to fall flat but characters like Treebeard were very believable and as I'd imagined them.

Did you use clay? I tried clay a few times but natural drying takes forever. That was well before the web so I can probably find anything I want on sculpting.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Bookmark this Page!