Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2018, 10:57 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
new spring and summer shows 2018

I know that spring has not yet officially started but a number of new series has premiered in March and it's too late to start a fall 2017 winter 2018 post.

I was enthralled on Tuesday night, March 13, with a series on NBC called Rise. I don't know what the title is referring to, but it's about a small town high school theater putting on an unusual musical called "Spring Awakening." The acting was great, the story wasn't soapy and the music from the songs was beautifully performed. I will definitely watch this show again!

Old 03-15-2018, 11:00 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
living biblically

Living Biblically is a somewhat annoying sitcom about a guy who decided to take the advice in the Bible literally. Not as a fundamentalist who believes in creation in seven days, but what the book suggests one eat, wear, work at, etc., on a daily basis.
I like the scenes of this guy and his wife, and his conversations with a priest and a rabbi. I do not like the scenes of him at work, because his coworkers are very unlikeable. I've watched 2 1/2 episodes and will try to watch the rest of the third episode On Demand.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:03 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
heathers

I was all set to finally watch the new series Heathers on Paramount, based on the Winona Ryder movie, but it wasn't on.
It got a lot of publicity last week but I didn't have a chance to watch it last Wednesday. It was listed as airing again on Wednesday, March 14, but when I put on the channel there was a movie instead. It was nowhere to be found on Paramount's on-screen TV listings.
I learned this morning that the show has been postponed because of the Parkland school shooting.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:57 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
deception

My mother really liked Deception and I loved it! It's new on ABC and is about a magician helping the FBI solve crimes because he can see where tricks and schemes were used to commit the crime.
I've seen similar premises where someone not in law enforcement helps investigate crimes: Castle and Murder She Wrote (writers), Private Eyes (athletic scout), Medium (psychic) and Lucifer (the devil himself!).
Old 04-21-2018, 06:52 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
living biblically

I've given up on Living Biblically. The characters are too annoying. As I said before, the only good part of the show is when the main character is talking to the priest and the rabbi, and that's not enough.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:54 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
the crossing

I've also given up on The Crossing, which is about humans from 180 years in the future time traveling back to today. It's by the same people who made Lost, and I gave up on that series as well. I don't have the time or desire to watch shows about conspiracies within conspiracies within conspiracies, nor do I have the stomach for the violence. Why can't someone just make a straight science fiction adventure show any more?
And one minor nitpick--so many series are filmed today in the Pacific Northwest, but it means that the sky is always gray and all the scenery is blue and gray.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:01 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
dietland

I watched a half hour of the premiere of Dietland and gave up. No likeable characters, numerous subplots/conspiracies and everything was gray.
Dietland is airing on AMC, but I also saw it listed on WE and Sundance.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:11 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
american woman

American Woman debuted last week on the revised Paramount Network, and I was quite impressed. I enjoyed it very much.
This is a 30-minute drama that takes place in 1975, when a mother of two children discovers her husband has been cheating on her and kicks him out of the house. It sounds like the plot of One Day at a Time, and there are many similarities, so perhaps that is why I liked it.
The story is set in Los Angeles, so the drama is quite physically attractive.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:43 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
yellowstone

I haven't made up my mind yet regarding Yellowstone, which airs at 10 p.m. Wednesdays on Paramount. The violence isn't too gross, but there is a lot of cursing which got annoying after a while.
This is a modern-day western set on a ranch in Montana. The actors I recognize are Kevin Costner and Gil Birmingham. It's a family soap opera, of course, and there will also be some continuing stories about the land and who owns it.
The reviews compared it to Bonanza, but I think it is more like Dallas.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Bookmark this Page!