Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2019, 08:05 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
new spring and summer shows 2019

I enjoyed the first two episodes of American Princess on Lifetime very much. It was a much more lighthearted program than most of the shows on Lifetime.
It's the story of a rich bride who discovers her fiancé with another woman on their wedding day. The bride runs off and ends up at a Renaissance Festival.
I had some problems with the script. The only Renaissance Festivals I know of are temporary things. The one in Ohio has a permanent site, but the organizers and players are there for only six weeks in late summer and fall. Then they move to another location.
Also, the fairs have an admission cost.
The bride wanders into a permanent festival location and just walks in without paying anything. She has no money on her because she is in her wedding gown.
My other complaint was the cursing. Although it was only occasional, it was too foul, especially for basic cable. If I'd been watching a violent murder mystery, it wouldn't have bothered me. But the F word is inappropriate for this show.
Despite those two problems, I will continue watching the show, as it was very amusing.
The story of a bride on the lam is not a new one: It Happened One Night, Smoky and the Bandit and Runaway Bride are three that come to mind.

Old 06-03-2019, 02:13 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
The Red Line on CBS was horrible. The new Blood and Treasure is just as bad.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:56 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
grand hotel

Grand Hotel began on ABC last Monday. It's trashy and had too many look-alike characters but I enjoyed it. Being filmed in Miami, it's also very pretty to look at it.
I don't recognize any of the cast. The man who plays the father seems to channeling Edward James Olmos and the actress who plays the daughter who just came home from college reminds me of America Ferrera, and I have to wonder if those roles were originally written for those two actors.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:00 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
just roll with it

Just Roll with It is the latest annoying kids' show on the Disney Channel. It sounded different so I thought I would watch it.
It's a semi-scripted show about a husband, wife and their two children. The premise is that there is periodically a buzzer, and then the audience (who you get to see and hear) votes on three choices of what happens next. It's basically a cross between your average sitcom and the old Nickelodeon series about getting slimed.
If it were just a family sitcom, I might enjoy it, since there as much emphasis on the parents as there is on the children. But the interruptions are annoying and sometimes gross and I couldn't tolerate more than two episodes.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:02 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
the in-between

The In-Between on NBC is much like Jennifer Love Hewitt's The Ghost Whisperer show, about a psychic who helps the police find missing people. The Ghost Whisperer was too creepy and scary for my taste, and two episodes of The In-Between was enough. Not only was it nerve-wracking, it was much too violent for my taste.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:05 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
reef break

I had a hard time following the plot of the pilot of Reef Break on ABC, but so far I will continue watching it. It's set in Hawaii and is largely about surfing, so of course I HAVE to watch it! It's about a former detective who was also a con artist who's now out of jail and is helping the local police solve crimes.
The surfing I "got"--the characters I haven't yet "got."
Old 06-26-2019, 07:43 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
american princess

American Princess had a great concept, I liked the cast and I loved the sets, but I cannot abide the raunchiness of the series. There were a couple of scenes that actually made me sick to my stomach. I am giving up on it.
I kept thinking that the scripts would lessen the sex-and-scatology scenes and discussions, but they have actually gotten worse!
Old 07-19-2019, 06:23 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
siren

Siren has been on Freeform for a while, but it is new to me. It's about the uneasy relationship between humans and "merpeople" (mermaids) in a Pacific Northwest town.
These mermaids aren't the pretty and friendly young women you think of, such as Ariel and Madison and the 1960s' Neptina and Lorelei. They are instead physically strong, sharp-faced, suspicious, insular and selfish, more like the way the Greeks in The Odyssey imagined them.
The series has intrigued me so far. I'm so sick of vampires and zombies!
Old 07-19-2019, 06:31 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
reef break

I've been striking out right and left on these series. My latest casualty is Reef Break, which I gave up on halfway through last night's episode.
The plots are very hard to follow. But what's really weird is that this show is not set in Hawaii, as I originally assumed. It takes place in some fictional U.S. territory far in the South Pacific, a series of islands owned by some very rich families. It has a big city with skyscrapers and its own governor. Driving is done on the left side of the road. Everyone speaks with flat American Midwestern accents--there's no sign of the clipped pidgin that Native Hawaiians still speak sometimes.
The governor is corrupt and there is lots of drug smuggling and too many conspiracy theories. It's as if Gidget joined Miami Vice and then they all went to the island in Lost.
I looked up Reef Break on IMDb and learned that the show is actually filmed in Queensland. So where are all the Australian actors?
Old 07-20-2019, 09:11 AM  
Administrator

Missouri
"Love Island" on CBS is horrible. Pairing it with the equally awful "Big Brother" takes CBS off my evening watch list.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Bookmark this Page!