Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2015, 02:40 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
Birdman

I'm not sure if Birdman qualifies as a fantasy or not. This 2014 movie is kind of a parody of his role in the 1989 remake of Batman, the film which began the phase of making (and remaking and remaking) superhero movies.
At the beginning, the film is confusing and a little crude, and I wasn't sure I would like it. I ended up enjoying the second half, and was quite impressed with it. Whether or not the Birdman character has any super powers is up to you to decide.
As I wrote last year when I saw Divergent weeks after its release, it was nice to be in a crowded theater for a movie that's been around for months.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:28 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
the age of adaline

Did anyone else think Harrison Ford was a little "off" in The Age of Adaline? I don't know if this had been filmed before or after his accident on the new Star Wars movie, but his age is very apparent in this movie. I didn't know whether to be sad or creeped out.
Adaline is the story of a woman who has been 29 since the 1920s. She has to change her identity every decade and move somewhere else. In fact, the movie opens with her obtaining a new, fake, illegal driver's license. Only her daughter, now elderly, who was born before Adaline's accident, knows her secret.
Of course, in the present, Adaline has met someone that she is falling in love with. Turns out his father is also someone she had been in love with.
You guess the ending about 20 minutes before the movie's finale.
The movie kept my interest, though, and you aren't aware of the passing of time.

Old 05-30-2015, 03:15 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
little boy

Little Boy can best be described as a link between Unbroken and The Karate Kid. It's a neat story about a youngster (you never really know how old he is because of his dwarfism) and his intense desire to see his father again. The story takes place during World War II and the father has been is a prisoner of war in the Philippines.
You will likely need tissues during this one, because it is heart-wrenching in places.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:16 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
insurgent

As I've mentioned before, normally I avoid sequels. But I had enjoyed Divergent and so decided to see its follow-up, Insurgent.
The movie picks up what I assume is several months to maybe a year after the end of the first movie, with Tris taking refuge in a peaceful faction called Amity. The movie gets increasingly violent toward the end.
As with all other post-apocalyptic movies this one takes place in a bombed-out dying city with a few surviving skysrapers. It looks more like Mad Max than anything.
Did I like it? It's slow at the beginning, but, yes, I did. Out of all of these different teen hero series, Divergent has been the one I've been most impressed with.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:44 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
love and mercy

I didn't care for Love and Mercy, the new movie about Brian Wilson. It was very slow. I think some of the film could have been deleted (the long scenes where Brian is hallucinating either from LSD or his mental illness could have been shorter). If you didn't already know his life story, parts of the movie would have been very hard to follow. In fact, I wasn't always sure what the time periods were supposed to be, as there are no dates mentioned.
The film skips back and forth between the mid-1960s, with Paul Dano as Brian, and the early 1990s, with John Cusack as Brian. Paul looks a lot like the younger Brian but John looks nothing like the older Brian. A young man appears halfway through the story who is never identified. I figured out he was supposed to be Van Dyke Parks but the movie doesn't explain that. Eugene Landy is really, really creepy.
I liked the actors who played Mike Love and Hal Blaine.
non blockbuster movies-img.jpg 

Old 07-05-2015, 07:45 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
Woman in Gold

My friend Karen and I came out of the movie Woman in Gold a little stunned and wide-eyed. What an AWESOME film! The spell it cast remained on us the rest of the evening.
Woman in Gold is a true story, partly told in flashback, about a California dress shop owner who fled the Nazi occupation in Austria in the 1940s. The story takes place mostly in the 1990s as she and her lawyer return to Austria to try to retrieve a painting of her aunt. The Nazis took the family's huge artwork collection and the painting was now the most famous piece of art in a Vienna museum.
Although I didn't cry, I heard Karen sniffling next to me at times during the movie. I hope Woman in Gold receives some Oscar nominations next year, as it surely deserves it.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:46 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
mr holmes

In the mid-20th century, an elderly former crimefighter with a fading memory befriends a young boy and tells him his convoluted life story. Is this the plot of the 2013 movie The Lone Ranger?

Yes, and it is also the premise of the new 2015 British movie Mr. Holmes, starring Ian McKellen. In this movie, it is just after World War II and Sherlock Holmes is 93 years old and long retired. He is getting senile and cannot remember the details of his last case.

Mr. Holmes is much more simple in plot than TLR was and less lengthy, but moves very slowly at times.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:08 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
Max

I know that Max is a "boy and his dog" movie, but it is a very strong PG and you don't want to take small children to see it. I'm 54, and I MYSELF was traumatized by it!
The plot is that the older brother of a family who has trained a dog to sniff out bombs is killed in Afghanistan. The Marines ask the family if the younger brother would like to take over care of Max the Malamut. A simple enough story, but after that the plot gets really convoluted. Another Marine who was a friend of the older brother turns out to be a crooked gun-runner civilian, and he goes after the boy, his friends and the dog when they accidentally discover it.
The film is really nerve-wracking and disturbing in places!
Old 08-18-2015, 07:20 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
the man from uncle

I only went to see The Man from U.N.C.L.E. because I really like Armie Hammer. I was glad to see he received first billing in the opening credits. In fact, the opening credits are the best part of the movie, with its 1960s look and jazzie theme music.
The story is convoluted and a little hard to follow (but I have to say, so are the TV series episodes, so maybe that was the point). I laughed at a few of the jokes. The back story about U.N.C.L.E. is different from the TV series. If I hadn't known in advance that Hugh Grant was in the movie, I would never have recognized him.
I think the movie would have been more fun if David McCallum and Robert Vaughn had briefly appeared in cameos.
non blockbuster movies-uncle-2.jpg 

Old 08-24-2015, 08:04 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
Ricki and the Flash

When your mother, your sister and yourself all enjoy a movie, you have to say it is really good.
Ricki and the Flash, although not a great movie, was really fun to watch. You laugh a number of times and enjoy the music. Not surprisingly, it was all middle-aged and older women in the theater when we saw it Sunday afternoon.
Rick Springfield played my favorite character in the movie, and he stole every scene he was in.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Bookmark this Page!