Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2018, 06:39 AM  

I must jump on the The Avengers: Infinity War bandwagon. I thought the film was very well made. They managed to juggle a few plotlines at the same time and tie them up together at the end in a meaningful way. The visuals were stunning too.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:57 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
book club

Surprisingly, Book Club is still in theaters six weeks after its release, and the movie has nothing to do with sequels or comic books. We saw it last night and the theater was half-filled with middle-aged women (including my sister and me). I saw only one man in the entire room!
Book Club's plot is quite simple--four women meet once a month to discuss a book they've read, and their most recent choice is 50 Shades of Grey. The movie is quite funny with lots of laughs. My only dislike of the movie was that it was difficult keeping straight which husband/boyfriend belonged to which wife.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:11 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
Sorry to Bother You

I went to see Sorry to Bother You because Armie Hammer is in it.
I don't know what to think of this movie. It's a science-fiction comedy, but it's depressing. Kind of an offspring of The Hunger Games and Being John Malkovich. Some violence and a small bit of nudity, but the main reason for its R rating is that the F word is in every other sentence. Hearing that got annoying after a while.
Armie is typecast again as a rich arrogant jerk (I wonder sometimes how much he is acting!). He and Danny Glover are the only actors in the movie I recognize. Danny gets to say his trademark punchline in the movie.
The promos talk about how the story is about an African-American telemarketer who uses a "white" voice to sell more items over the phone. Except for some books/videos mentioned early in the movie, you never do learn what the company is actually selling.
Anyway, by the end of the movie, people are turning into horses.... You figure it out.

P.S. I don't know why I didn't think of this years ago. I'm going to start showing you my movie ticket.
non blockbuster movies-sorry-bother-you.jpg 

Old 08-23-2018, 07:45 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
The Darkest Minds

The Darkest Minds is the latest teens-save-the-world-from-the-apocalypse-based-on-a-young-adult-novel. The only two details that are different in this movie are (1) the heroine is African-American, and (2) she doesn't go off by herself in the end.
It's an okay movie. I had never seen any of the actors before; they were all new to me.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:51 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
alpha

Alpha is a physically beautifully movie, filmed at national parks in western Canada that stood in for eastern Europe 20,000 years ago.
Alpha is considered the earliest-ever-set boy and his dog movie. It's about a young man injured and abandoned for dead during a bison hunting trip who must make his way homeward alone. He injures a wolf who is part of a pack hunting him, and when the other wolves leave, he takes pity on it and takes care of it. The two eventually become friends.
The movie's plot is similar to The Revenant and Man in the Wilderness, but all the characters are dressed like those in The Road Warrior. I enjoyed this movie very much.
The movie is PG-13 for its violence and is in a made-up language with subtitles.
Although it seems like an innocent family movie, it is not, so any youngsters seeing it should be 10 and up.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:00 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
first man

Apollo 13 from 1995 is my all-time favorite movie, and because of it I see every space movie that comes out.
First Man is not the adventure story that Apollo 13 or The Right Stuff was. It's a drama like Hidden Figures, focusing on Neil Armstrong's relationships with his family and his co-workers. I never knew that his toddler daughter's death is part of the reason that he was so reclusive.
It's a good movie but it is slow at times.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Bookmark this Page!