Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2011, 07:45 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Paul- Movie Review

I like Nick Frost, Seth Rogan and of course Simon Pegg, so I was surprised that I was not immediately in love with this movie.

Two major points, their stereotyping of fundamentalist America was off, and of course as it was a movie their scope was narrow, all the same some acknowledgment that America is diverse would have been appreciated.

As a Texan I have the 2 amendment rights written on my birth certificate and I don't feel the conditions or reasons behind England's prohibition of firearms are the same, or could be the same as a possible prohibition on American soil, so I don't like being treated like a gun nut because I own firearms. Catch phrases like "The Cops don't carry guns? How are they supposed to shoot people?" in lite of the current riots only maintains that any form of prohibition is likely to still see major issues arise from it. You don't have it figured out England. No one does.

It seems they might understand that as the movie clearly uses Marijuana, another subject of prohibition and yet no definitive link can be deduced by the major characters.

I have no issue with politics or religion in a movie, I just ask you think things through and if you are going to to do it present a logical concise argument instead of relying on the ignorance of imaginary characters to push you social agenda with the same lack of proof or logic being demonstrated by the opposition just in a calmer voice.

My second point is that Nick Frost is unlikable in his meekness. One of his saving graces is always his belligerence, be it dealing with Zombies or a town gone insane. I'm all for the "rise of the nerds" it means I can stop hiding in the back of the class with my Japanese comic books afraid to reveal any iota of nerdish behavior, but relegating the nerdy to the week and helpless, ideologically or otherwise is a misnomer I'll be glad to have gone.

This all being said, the movie was excellent. It was well shot, well put together, the story was likable and the Alien was represented with a depth of humanity not seen in modern cinema in some time.

I like the idea of aliens being my friends as opposed to trying to destroy major metropolitan areas in an attempt to ______ (insert campy alien reasoning here), so I would recommend it, just realize going into it it is a comedy with political/ religious overtones and if that's not you're thing you may do well to stay away from it.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:44 AM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
I find your review to be dumb.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:15 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
^ troll.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:18 PM  
What page are you on?

in a van... down by the river, Texas

dont do it austin. you're far better than that! haha
Old 08-27-2011, 01:27 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I hate to discredit your very long reviewed, but I thought it was terrible! :-) sorry.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 08-27-2011, 12:11 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
I'm all for the "rise of the nerds" it means I can stop hiding in the back of the class with my Japanese comic books afraid to reveal any iota of nerdish behavior, but relegating the nerdy to the week and helpless, ideologically or otherwise is a misnomer I'll be glad to have gone.
Thanks for mentioning that. I've been curious about how nerds (I prefer geeks) fared at the hands of the other monsters we charmingly call children. If you're different in any way you're labeled "other". This destroys kids with hare lips and such.

I see it this way. Unlike the annual Science Fair types we relegated to our social fringe geeks are everywhere and no one needs them more than the same types who loved to mock anime & such. Those wily little nerds had to bridge a few chasms to get their pokemon and are often the ones we look to to keep us online and uninfected.

Enjoy your quiet revenge in silence.

Thanks to them I can grab a desktop like the one pictured for $65 to $95 because when it blue screened twice they bought a new computer rather than fix it. Said computer could not be built for that money.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:22 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
I hate to discredit your very long reviewed, but I thought it was terrible! :-) sorry.
Any point in particular you disagreed with or was it the entirety of the movie?
Old 08-27-2011, 03:05 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I certainly didn't look into it like you did. However, when I watched it, I found it slimy. I don't enjoy movies that use profanity in excess, and I just felt like this movie was trying way too hard.

But hey, probably just me!

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 08-30-2011, 10:14 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
I certainly didn't look into it like you did. However, when I watched it, I found it slimy. I don't enjoy movies that use profanity in excess, and I just felt like this movie was trying way too hard.

But hey, probably just me!

Fair enough to each his own. I don't even hear the language anymore and my daughter is well trained that when she hears it she knows not to repeat it.

I didn't watch it with her, it was just n FYI thing.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Bookmark this Page!