Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2014, 10:45 AM  

Nevada
So, you like complicated plots

Well then, let me introduce you to the world of Mexican soap operas.

My wife will watch one and I reluctantly find myself interested in the darned things. The hardest part is trying to figure out the plot – as well as who the various characters are and how they're related.

Let's start with my current fascination – la Gata or Stray Cat.

The MC is obviously la Gata a girl named Esmeralda who grows up in a landfill outside of Mexico City, She knows nothing of her real parents and is raised by an old crone, Doña Rita who teaches her how to beg and do all sorts of other things to earn money. She can neither read nor write.

Along comes Pablo Negrete, a rich boy who teaches her to read and write and actually calls her by her name. They fall in love and, against Pablo's parents wishes, run off and get married. Pablo's father sends him off to NYC to get his masters.

Several months after Pablo leaves, Esmeralda had twins, a boy and a girl. Pablo knows nothing about it and his father annuls his marriage to Esmeralda. When Pablo returns, he is told of the twins and is told they are not his but another character called The Italiano.

With me so far?

We then introduce El Silencioso who had been sent to jail for something he didn't do. While in jail, he was in a cell with Damien Reyes whose mother Meche has helped raise Esmeralda and her twins. Fernando Ruiz discovers that la Gata is really his daughter Renata who he thought to be dead. We then learn that Fernando's wife, Fela, la Loca also lives in the landfill and is close to Esmeralda without knowing she is her daughter. In any case, Fernando takes Damian as his helper and convinces him to have his mother come to be the housekeeper. We then find him convincing another friend of Esmeralda's, Jarocha, to move in so Esmeralda will bring her twins into the house.

Then comes the total plot twists. Turns out the s.o.b. who framed Fernando is Pablo's father! Not only that, he is responsible for stealing Esmeralda from her mother and turning her over to Rita who got paid for it. Having her child stolen and her husband in jail, Fela goes nuts. Not only that, but Augustine moved his family into Fernando's mansion and lives high on money he stole from el Silencioso.

That's enough. It would take pages upon pages to go into the other plot twists the desire for revenge. At this point, Rita, Meche, and Jarocha know Esmeralda is Fernando's daughter but he refuses to tell her until his name is cleared. He then finds Fela who is his wife and Esmeralda's mother and brings her to the house, telling every who she is – except for poor Esmerelda who still doesn't know who either one is.

And the weirdest part? Esmeralda and Pablo are still in love and want to marry but his parents are doing everything possible to stop it. Fernando as well wants her to have nothing to do with the son of the man who ruined his life.

So then ….....

Old 10-29-2014, 07:48 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
dynasty

I watched half a season of Dynasty. I eventually gave up trying to figure out who was related to whom, and who was blackmailing whom, because it was just too complicated and ridiculous.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:38 AM  

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollector View Post
I watched half a season of Dynasty. I eventually gave up trying to figure out who was related to whom, and who was blackmailing whom, because it was just too complicated and ridiculous.
I watched an hour of a soap yesterday in the dealership waiting for my car to be serviced - and it was BOOOOOOORING. Like watching robots.

On the other hand - last night on la Gata, every single scene was filled with emotion. One old guy got beat up by a gang of ruffians while the granddaughter of his girlfriend watched - what's she going to do when she finds out?

The father of Pablo had a serious stroke and is being held in house arrest pending charges from Esmeralda's father.

The Pizza Man has discovered where she's living and had told Pablo to back off because she's his.

Pablo's brother takes Esmeralda to the zoo because he's in love with her and is conspiring to have her turn on Pablo.

Everybody's still keeping Esmeralda in the dark that el Silencioso and Fela are really her parents - and we discover that Fela/Blanca was once a very famous singer with a big following.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Bookmark this Page!