Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2011, 12:36 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
True Grit

Anyone one else see the remake?

I never saw the original but I found this movie excellent.

I'm glad to see westerns make a resurgence in things like Deadwood. 3:10 to Yuma, and to a lesser extent series like the late Firefly.

The way the Coen brothers manage to capture the isolation of hard living is impressive and although the characters are by and large harsh, you still connect with them in their pursuit.

If you haven't seen it, you should.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:52 PM  
fustrated genius

I saw both. They were both pretty good, but my fav most recent one was when I took the grandson to see RANGO. Now THAT was a good movie I could identify with!!

Old 06-11-2011, 09:31 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
I want to see that. I'm not sure what it's about but it looked fun.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:11 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
The way the Coen brothers manage to capture the isolation of hard living is impressive and although the characters are by and large harsh, you still connect with them in their pursuit.
That's a big part of why I've been looking forward to renting it. Bridges seems the perfect character for the role of dissipated old knight of the West.

When TV first arrived complete with Hopalong & Cisco every western segment was just a slight variation on the same theme and this persisted all the way through Gunsmoke.

Then one day I saw my first Peckinpaugh movie and knew something was changing.

Quote:
David Samuel "Sam" Peckinpah (February 21, 1925 ? December 28, 1984) was an American filmmaker and screenwriter who achieved prominence following the release of the Western epic The Wild Bunch (1969). He was known for the innovative and explicit depiction of action and violence, as well as his revisionist approach to the Western genre.
Peckinpah's films generally deal with the conflict between values and ideals, and the corruption of violence in human society. He was given the nickname "Bloody Sam" owing to the violence in his films. His characters are often loners or losers who desire to be honorable, but are forced to compromise in order to survive in a world of nihilism and brutality.
Peckinpah's combative personality, marked by years of alcohol and drug abuse, has often overshadowed his professional legacy. Many of his films were noted for behind-the-scenes battles with producers and crew members, damaging his reputation and career during his lifetime. Many of his films, such as Straw Dogs (1971), Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (1973) and Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974), remain controversial.
HTML Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Peckinpah
Deadwood was as unexpected as the first season of "Laughin". A hemmorhoid operation on TV?????? OMG!!!!
Old 06-11-2011, 11:25 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
That's a big part of why I've been looking forward to renting it. Bridges seems the perfect character for the role of dissipated old knight of the West.

When TV first arrived complete with Hopalong & Cisco every western segment was just a slight variation on the same theme and this persisted all the way through Gunsmoke.

Then one day I saw my first Peckinpaugh movie and knew something was changing.

HTML Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Peckinpah
Deadwood was as unexpected as the first season of "Laughin". A hemmorhoid operation on TV?????? OMG!!!!
I'm a big fan. I just re-started my watching. It got put on hold after my local Blockbuster shutdown, and every time I've gone to Hastings it;s been checked out.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Art / Entertainment
Bookmark this Page!