Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2010, 11:30 AM  

Nashville, TN
The Vortex - Little 5 Points area

I had heard bits and pieces about this place for sometime now and really didn't know what to expect. Some people had said it was a good place for a variety of beers (always a plus). While at the same time some people had said it was a place that was a little "off" because of it's atmosphere. Well, in all honesty, I can't say either of those two allegations is untrue. The place is in fact a haven for beer connoisseurs and for those looking to escape the "norm." I thought the place was absolutely amazing with really good service. I was given the challenge of knocking out the "Double Coronary." Not only was I excited to give this baby a whirl, a couple guys I was with decided to make side bets with me that I couldn't put every thing down on my plate. Side note: I didn't. The burger consist of the following:
Two grilled-cheese sandwiches as the buns
I'd say what looks to be a 1/2lb patty, backyard burger style
Two fried eggs, well
Four pieces of cheese
Five pieces of bacon
And of course lettuce, tomato, and red onion
I knocked out the burger, but the tots that came on the side were hardly touched. It was the most glorious heart-attack inducing masterpiece of a burger I have ever seen/encountered. It was literally so large I couldn't fit a single top-to-bottom-bite in my mouth. And I don't regret a single moment of enjoying the entire monster.

Did I mention that around the corner is The Porter Beer Bar!!!! what more can you ask for!?

Old 11-19-2010, 07:58 AM  

Atlanta
They also have one on Peachtree St in Midtown.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:00 PM  

Peachtree City, GA
I worked at the one on Peachtree 10 years ago or so. Try the pimento cheese burger next time you're there. It sounds bizarre, but it's delicious.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:10 PM  

Atlanta, GA
They do an alright burger, but the service honestly sucks. They try to spin it as a gimmick (even their menu is deliberately rude), but the staff is just plain sour and it's rarely a quick meal.

They're a landmark, but plenty of places in town do burgers better, and bars as well.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:40 AM  

Newnan, ga
I really enjoy The Vortex. And every Thursday they host a bike night that has gotten pretty sizable so that's a plus for me as well.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:03 AM  

Atlanta, Georgia
I worked in the Biltmore building right around the corner and used to go the one on Peachtee. I always get the fried zucchini instead of tater tots.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:29 PM  

Atlanta, Georgia
Loved the one in Midtown - Had the double coronary burger (or whatever the name is) and thought i may die...then I had a pitcher of beer and felt amazing.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:12 AM  

Atlanta, GA
I like the little five location a bit more. I've found the service is a bit better there. It always takes a while to get in and out at the Ptree location.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:20 PM  

Jonesboro, GA
Loved that place when I rode my rocket... Thurs were the best! Honestly, it's a good burger and they have some unusual burgers, but they're proud of their meat and you'll pay for it.

Personally, I'd go down 1 block on the opposite side of the road and hit Front Page News. Great bar inside and out, lots of TVs and the bar tenders are the best!
Old 01-14-2011, 12:46 PM  

atlanta, georgia
An edgey place with attitude. Burgers are pretty good. Regulars get good service. If you go in and feel out of place expect crappy service as they will know you don't belong.

kls

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Bookmark this Page!