Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Austin
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2010, 03:29 PM  
Professional

Texas
Affordable Housing, nice school districts?

OK, so as I mentioned in another thread I will be moving from Houston to Austin in June. I will be looking for a nice area to live, not necessarily in the Austin city limits, but probably a 30 mile radius would be nice.

Basically I want an area that is easy to get to, has what I need grocery wise in close proximity, and that isn't overly expensive. I plan to live in the area for at least a few years, so I am open to suggestions regarding good places for buying and also renting.

The other question I have is regarding school systems. I don't have kids (phew!), but my girlfriend is a coming with me and she is an elementary teacher. Any similar suggestions on nice places for her to apply in about the same 30 mile radius? It would be great if this was the same area as housing, but ya never know.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:43 PM  

Round Rock, TX
Leander ISD is one of the best in the area. Leander Independent School District Check out housing that sits within that ISD.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:17 PM  

Austin, TX
T ronny,

When we moved here 7 years ago, my wife spent a lot of time researching school districts for the crumb-crunchers. It was the main criteria for where we would live.

Ones she thought of as "good": Round Rock, Cedar Park, Lake Travis, Leander, Eanes (very expensive real estate, tho').

We ended up in Lake Travis system and, for the most part have been happy with our choice.

Good luck.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:25 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Having been educated around here and having dealt with those graduates,
I can tell you there are a few superior school systems, and AISD isn't one of them.

Georgetown,Lake Travis, Leander, ISD are all good.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:45 AM  

Round Rock, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
Ones she thought of as "good": Round Rock, Cedar Park, Lake Travis, Leander, Eanes (very expensive real estate, tho').
As a parent of two children in the Round Rock ISD, I'd have to take issue with that assessment of RRISD.

I'm not exactly happy with my kids' education.

And I wouldn't suggest RR as a place to live... it's gone down hill in the 12 years I've lived here.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:34 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronzorelli View Post
As a parent of two children in the Round Rock ISD, I'd have to take issue with that assessment of RRISD.

I'm not exactly happy with my kids' education.

And I wouldn't suggest RR as a place to live... it's gone down hill in the 12 years I've lived here.
It's still better than a lot of districts here in Texas.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:28 AM  

Austin, Texas
Austin ISD is either above average or terrible depending on which school you are at. I used to work there. For affordable housing, though, you probably won't be able to buy into the good areas. They have an awesome magnet middle and high school if your kids end up smart enough to get in.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:24 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivehoursfree View Post
Austin ISD is either above average or terrible depending on which school you are at. I used to work there. For affordable housing, though, you probably won't be able to buy into the good areas. They have an awesome magnet middle and high school if your kids end up smart enough to get in.
Which depends on which side of town you are on. If it's south or east, you're out of luck.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:41 PM  
Professional

Texas
Hmm. I will take these things into consideration.
Basically I am just trying to help her find a place that is hopefully a little less stressful than her current gig.
Right now she teaches at Piney Point Elementary in Houston. If that doesn't tell you much, then let's say it wouldn't take much to upgrade...
Old 12-13-2010, 06:03 AM  
southern conservative

Austin, Texas
Leander ISD is great for kids that have average IQ's and normal behavior patterns. But if you have a hyper or active kid Leander Middle School for sure is horrible! Parents are supposed to just let their school do what ever they want and place your kid anywhere they want. The schools don't want to hear the parents ask questions. I'd stay out of Leander. Property values have dropped 20k. I bought in Sept 07 and the home values in my area are still down almost 20k (actual sales price).

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Austin
Bookmark this Page!