Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Austin
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2010, 01:30 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Arcades?

What happened to LeFun, what happened to Einsteins? I miss the old school arcades. Are there any left in Austin? I went down a couple of years ago to the drag and was asked by a fat man at the Church of Scientology if I was happy. No you guys took over LeFun, LeFun made me happy.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:27 AM  

Austin
No clue. I work on the Drag. When they Scientologist took over I lost my video game fix too.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:04 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
I wonder what happened? The LeFun in WellsBranch closed down years ago too. Maybe they just went under and then the property was sold?
Old 08-27-2010, 03:30 PM  

Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I wonder what happened? The LeFun in WellsBranch closed down years ago too. Maybe they just went under and then the property was sold?
Remember the discount theater? It was the first in Austin. I used to have to have my Mom drive me about as far north as you could go and still be in the city in city for all day $.50 movies. It was great.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:38 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funetical View Post
Remember the discount theater? It was the first in Austin. I used to have to have my Mom drive me about as far north as you could go and still be in the city in city for all day $.50 movies. It was great.
I do, for some reason I started going the month that Super Mario Brothers the movie came out, so I managed to see that 2 dozen times without wasting all my allowance. They also had a few games but having LeFun right there was awesome. If I had a time machine I would go visit the early 90's and let little Austin know to enjoy it. I was a morose kid.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:31 PM  

Austin, Texas
Just as video killed the radio star, modern gaming has killed the Arcades.

Kids spend more time linked up to PC based or advanced portable gaming. It's easier for them and more advanced.

Poor kids will never know the feel of stepping up against a pin ball machine or using a flight simulator.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:48 AM  

Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by balloo93 View Post
Just as video killed the radio star, modern gaming has killed the Arcades.

Kids spend more time linked up to PC based or advanced portable gaming. It's easier for them and more advanced.

Poor kids will never know the feel of stepping up against a pin ball machine or using a flight simulator.
And that's sad. I thought it was the console games that destroyed it, I just didn't want to admit it. I remember there was a place you could go to play PC games, but I hated it, I liked the uprights.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:18 AM  

Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funetical View Post
And that's sad. I thought it was the console games that destroyed it, I just didn't want to admit it. I remember there was a place you could go to play PC games, but I hated it, I liked the uprights.
Console games put a bit hit on them, but Arcades still pulled a lot of the college kids in. Then the online gaming started and heel, who wouldn't want to kill commies while talking to your buds. Not to mention getting drunk and staying up late enough to play with the eur kids. Nothing like being called a wanker that early in the morning.

I could see the arcades coming back eventually, but with the economy the way it is, it would be a long time. Texas is fortunate enough to still be stable, but everyone I know is holding back on frivolous purchases.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:42 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by balloo93 View Post
Console games put a bit hit on them, but Arcades still pulled a lot of the college kids in. Then the online gaming started and heel, who wouldn't want to kill commies while talking to your buds. Not to mention getting drunk and staying up late enough to play with the eur kids. Nothing like being called a wanker that early in the morning.

I could see the arcades coming back eventually, but with the economy the way it is, it would be a long time. Texas is fortunate enough to still be stable, but everyone I know is holding back on frivolous purchases.
I did that at Arcades growing up. I never had one tell me to quiet down and out my flask away.

Everyone I know is cutting back too. If I had more to spend I would cut back.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:49 PM  

Austin, TX
I'd guess D&B is probably the closest thing left to a real arcade type situation... That's all I can think of... Accept for the bowling alley out on 183 but... ehh... Rather have good food and booze vs bowling...

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Austin
Bookmark this Page!