Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Austin
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-12-2011, 09:01 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Elsie's on Burnet Rd.

I met some family at Elsie's on Burnet Rd. this weekend.

A cozy place taking up far more space than it seems from the outside, Elsie's serves El Salvadorian food, though the majority of the menu seems to be Mexican food spin-offs and Tex-Mex fair.

I had three breakast tacos, the Al Pastor, the traditional with the addition of pineapple giving it a sweet and welcomed twist.

The Machaca, a combination of shredded beef, eggs, chili's and tomatoes and a waiter recomeneded Potatos and egg.

I also sampled the enchiladas and tacos from my wife's plate as she was not even going to try to finish it, her plate apply titled the Moy Grande.

The Pineapple al Pastor was great, it seemd to not have enough pineapples to be considered much of a change but the sweet very happily accompinied the mildly spicy and made me want more.

The Machaca was good, although most recipes I found call for lard it seems this taco had a distinct lack of grease which is nice. It has a bit of spice to it but was well balanced against the approaprite amount of eggs.

A lot of places increase the egg, decrease the meat, that didn't happen here.

The potato and egg was nothing special, and as I asked the waiter what his favorite was and ordered that I can only assume he likes bland and paltry dishes reliant on additions to make it taste worthy.

The Tacos was a taco, what you come to expect from every place in town, not worth going for that unless you live next door and there's nothing better to be had. The same could be said for the Enchiladas.

Now I liked our waiter, seemed to be a friendly guy, but messing up on an order when it's past 1 and we are one of three tables, is unacceptable. He apologized to no end but my Daughters nachos ended up being Chicken nuggets and fries, and once presented with that good luck getting it back from her.

The other issue ended up being the debilitating food poisoning I received from the place.

I know, the majority of food poisoning happens at home, but as man who ran kitchens most of his life I see to an impeccable degree of cleaning in my kitchen, and the time frame was right for the incubation of a food born illness. 8-16 hours. It was also the only thing I had had for 24 hours, so it is with certainty I proclaim this.

That being said, I don't know what I have and I'm on the third day starting to feel better. I am the only one in a party of five (Great show...JK) that was made ill but I still insist it was them as I am the only one that ate the strange meats.

If you eat there I wish you luck, had it not been for the illness I would recommend them highly. It's a shame I can't do that now.

Back to the trash can my head goes...

Old 12-12-2011, 04:12 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Could have been the eggs too.
So have the dry heaves stopped yet?

Old 12-13-2011, 10:25 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
Could have been the eggs too.
So have the dry heaves stopped yet?
Nope, made a mistake last night and ate, I was so very hungry.

Still no 100% but I'm a lot better today.

Almost everyone in the party ate eggs, I'm the only one who fell ill.

I'm blaming the meats, or the food handlers.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Austin
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.