Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Austin
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2010, 11:16 AM  

Austin, Texas
I'm a big fan of Rudy's on 360. They are my measuring stick for my on BBQ off my Big Green Egg.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:41 AM  

austin, tx
Franklin BBQ on concordia/I35. Best brisket and great pulled pork. Open at 11am, usually sell out by 1. A line starts forming at 10:30 usually.

Ruby's (Not Rudy's) on 29th and Guad is good, but can be a bit pricey. Rudy's is always reliable and is good if you need a bbq fix and all the good places have already sold out of meat.

If you're willing to drive, Lockhart has 4 stops: Smitty's, Kreuz's, Blacks, Chisolm Trail. You can get a really good feel for what Central Texas BBQ is about from Smitty's and Kreuz's. It's about meat, and not the sauce.

Up in Taylor you have Louie Mueller, which is fantastic and the building it is in is amazing.

There is so much barbecue in the central texas region. There is a reason it is called the barbecue belt.

These two blogs are good for the texas bbq lowdown:
Man Up: Tales of Texas BBQ™ (austin based I think)
Full Custom Gospel BBQ (Dallas based, but still good information)

Old 12-28-2010, 12:33 PM  

Pensacola, Fl
Only been to Austin once, but I thought Stubb's was good. I know - not exactly out of the way, but I thought it had great atmosphere and good eats. I even bought a T-shirt.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:47 PM  

Abilene, Texas
I like Stubbs also. More of an atmosphere thing than a great BBQ thing.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:03 PM  

Waco, TX
I agree Louis Mueller's in Taylor is superb.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:07 PM  

Austin, Texas
Uncle Billy's on Barton Springs has great pulled pork and OK ribs. They also brew their own beer there too, cool area of Austin.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:25 PM  

Austin, Texas
Louie Muellers and Salt lick are my two favorites. Living in Round Rock they are both close. The Salt Lick at Dell Diamond is nice, well run and quite delicious.
Chuck
Old 12-28-2010, 08:28 PM  

Bennington, Vermont
I like Rudy's. In fact, I'm sitting here in Vermont and wearing a Rudy's t-shirt! It is getting pretty ragged as I haven't been there in about 7 years...
Old 12-29-2010, 08:09 AM  

TX
I know its not in Austin but its very close. The place I really like is Blacks BBQ in Lockhart. Have been there many times and its always good.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:09 PM  

Austin, Texas
lockhart

has no one mentioned lockhart bbq yet? it's 30 minutes south of Austin on 183. it is the desginated hometown of bbq. there is smitty's, kreutz's, and blacks. i prefer smitty's because their brisket is oh so good.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Austin
Bookmark this Page!