Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Austin
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2010, 10:32 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Crunch Killa View Post
I think I know what you're talking about.
There was also a bridge on 35 just south of Round Rock and every time I would drive over it in my Jeep I could smell the guano real strong. God I miss central Texas.
There's a lot to miss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucep86 View Post
I'm sorry, I was talking about the Congress St bridge. Not sure of others in the area but I am sure there are more. Houston has one also although I have never seen the bats fly from there.

I believe that the Congress St bridge holds one of the largest urban populations of bats in North America.
I've read that somewhere. Even smaller bridges in the area have bat populations, they are all over the place.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:48 AM  

Austin, Texas
What does the guano smell like? I've been all over town and have never smelt it.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:11 AM  

Friendswood, Texas
It's Bat waste.....Very strong ammonia smell. Walk under the Congress St Bridge and you can't miss it. I run a lot on trails in Houston, and on Town Lake in Austin and when you run under the bridge, you have to hold your breath and get away as quickly as possible. It is not a pleasant smell.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:49 AM  
South Austin Jeep Lover

Austin, Texas
Love bats

You can take a riverboat cruise to watch the bats, too, very fun! Or just stand on the congress bridge just before dusk and they will come swirling out.
They are here while the weather is warm.
Tanya
Old 11-22-2010, 03:16 PM  

Austin, TX
Yeah! For our anniversary a couple years back I rented a private boat & dinner (http://www.capitalcruises.com/rentals/duffy-21-rental/). The price was reasonable and the view was spectacular, much better than standing on the banks (which we have also done a couple of times). If it is in season, it is a great family friendly place to take out of town visitors (Kids and photography buffs have an especially good time).
Old 11-23-2010, 06:43 PM  

I've seen them fly out from the Congress St. Bridge. An awesome sight.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Austin
Bookmark this Page!